Nikon gives us the mushroom treatment

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i suspect this is the case. this may be be the same problem as the z9 service advisory, or if not the same, similar, so they likely have a pretty good idea how to deal with it
It's not the same problem (the Z9 recall was for not being able to get the lenses OFF the cam and fortunately mine was not involved). But they could have a similar root cause. Seems like the Z8 either has a tolerance stack up problem or a part that is marginally at variance with it's required spec. Hopefully it's a quick fix and all that needs undoing is the mount (and nothing further upstream). 🤞

I agree with Geoff. I have not tried all my Z-mount lenses on my Z8, but have mounted the 400 4.5, the 100-400, 15-30, and the TC 1.4. Everything snaps into place and works fine. But, since I purchased the Z8 specifically to have a “smaller” camera to take to Africa in August, I'm guessing it would not be a good idea to take my Z8 until the ”fix” is made.

Update: Today I tried every Z mount lens I own on the Z8… they all mount smoothly and lock firmly into place without any issue. They don’t seem too tight or too loose. Each lens mounts on the Z8 as smoothly as on my Z9 and Z6ll. Think I’ll wait a bit to send it off to Nikon. Here in California it seems that the turnaround time has been a month to six weeks for the other cameras (D750) and lenses (200-500) I have sent in for repair.

My professional life involved troubleshooting/fixing problems. Early in my career once the problem had been identified I'd provide the owner/operator with very detailed information along with multiple options to correct/prevent the problem from recurring. Big mistake. The more information I provided the more questions people asked, the longer they took to make decisions, etc, etc. After I gained a little experience I learned to tell them what was wrong in as few words as possible, what my recommendation was to deal with it, and potential consequences of the "do nothing" option(and that's always an option). Then answer any questions as necessary. With that approach ninety percent of the time people would just look very concerned, give a few very wise looking nods, and then agree with the recommendation and tell me to carry on.

Moral of the story, mushroom farming is easier than herding cats.

My professional life involved troubleshooting/fixing problems. Early in my career once the problem had been identified I'd provide the owner/operator with very detailed information along with multiple options to correct/prevent the problem from recurring. Big mistake. The more information I provided the more questions people asked, the longer they took to make decisions, etc, etc. After I gained a little experience I learned to tell them what was wrong in as few words as possible, what my recommendation was to deal with it, and potential consequences of the "do nothing" option(and that's always an option). Then answer any questions as necessary. With that approach ninety percent of the time people would just look very concerned, give a few very wise looking nods, and then agree with the recommendation and tell me to carry on.

Moral of the story, mushroom farming is easier than herding cats.
Yup communicate one must, certainly in customer service, and then simply communicate to understanding. Oh and I love that combing of mushroom farming and cat herding and will be stealing that line :)

Is it beyond Nikon (I am not accusing) to say the recall is a simple lens connection concern and actually be something more serious.
Never mind, that is not it. Glad mine is in

Back