Nikon Interviews - Z System on occasion of 90th Anniversary of Nikkor lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

More of the same messages but some new revelations. Ohshita is surprisingly candid. However, Nikon has officially teased an additional 9 new Z Nikkors in its 90th Anniversary page.

"In rare but welcome candor, Ohshita admits that there are some F-mount lenses that he hopes come to the Nikkor Z system. Although Nikon has made significant progress with its Nikkor Z lineup, there are still some gaps....
.... But rather than simply incorporating these functions into Nikkor Z lenses (without being technology-driven), I believe it would be better to consider what customers expect from these lenses and explore alternative means of providing them. It is imperative to carefully consider customer expectations and find innovative ways to meet their needs.”..."

2nd Interview about Haptics of cameras, particularly design of Z Mirrorless, posting here as they are published in 3 Parts

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this, I was not aware of the nine new lenses. Some intriguing profiles amongst them.
Appears that a fisheye, another Noct, a tilt/shift, and two telephotos are indicated. But that’s just a guess. Also, two or three lenses seem to be F mount (15-17)? Perhaps I’m reading too much into the silhouettes. 😂

Yes, some intriguing glimpses at the future. The Telephoto silhouette looks distinctly robust compared to most of the Z models. Perhaps a zoom with internal Teleconverter (similar to the 180-400 TC).... Just a guess.
The recent interviews with Nikon Executives reveal they are certainly listening to suggestions (hence the lighter telephotos, for example).

The latest Z models have conquered onerous engineering challenges in how to build a short, compact and thus lighter telephoto lens. Obviously, the new technologies must be a big help - to minimize chromatic aberration particularly. Haruo Sato discusses these challenges in detail in a recent 1001 Nights essay

Interesting interview and a good read….thanks for bringing this to the forum. I read it twice to let it all soak in so to speak. That Nikon is moving all manufacturing to Thailand and China (implied) comes as no surprise if the company is to remain solvent. When I read the additional remarks to the interview, it was disclosed that Nikon is hoping to reduce manufacturing costs by 60% with this plan. It simply costs too much to produce the cameras and lenses in Japan. Labor costs are significantly less elsewhere. The last Nikon products made in Japan, that I bought new were a Df body and a 80-400mm lens. Both had exceptional build qualities.

The production termination of “F” mount lenses comes as no surprise either. You might also be pressed to find a new, in the box D850 or D6. Nikon has apparently moved on and is “all in” with the mirrorless platform. When I first read this interview I was a little “put-off” and felt like being thrown under the bus. But that didn’t last very long.. I have Z cameras and lenses for the quantum leap advantages they bring to the table…..

Nikon’s vision, via the company rep, is more directional than substance. Two in production lenses are mentioned… the “NOCT” & “PLENA”. We get it.. these are incredible lenses. But a tele “NOCT”?.. The “Z” 58mm version is $7K+ What would a 200-300mm “NOCT” set you back? The new “PLENA” is the Z version of the F/mount 105mm & 135mm DC (defocus control) lenses. I have both “F” versions and like them. The 58mm “F” NOCT is not cheap on the used market either….😕

I’m left wondering, like others, what market is Nikon targeting? Maybe they’re throwing it against the wall to see what “sticks”….don’t know. Lots of high end glass that few can afford seem to be in the plans…🧐 The “Peta Pixel” (spl) interviewer broached the subject of kit lenses to go out the door with the low to mid range Z’s. The rep said these lenses were difficult to design and didn’t say much beyond that.

What Nikon should know is that their support base is primarily made up of hobbyists, journalists, and the scientific community. The family camera seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird with all the latest phone versions….that of course do other things as well….

The FTZ adapters have worked somewhat to blend the 2 platforms. But not to the level of ignoring the new Z lenses. I guess we’ll all wait to see what Nikon does next..🧐

I doubt that focal length at that aperture would be un-liftable but by forklift :) But really from my place on the engineering ability scale, I have no idea :) I think he meant in terms of quality (NOCT and Plena for example).
Of course, I was not serious about a F0.95 at 200 or 300mm

Ohshita-San admits there are many lenses still missing in the Z System. We can expect Nikon will maintain inventory of Tilt/Shifts and 180-400 f4E TC14 and other models that have no approx. optic in Z Mount.

The FTZ adapters work seamlessly with these E and G type F Nikkors. Nikon also values its unique heritage and corporate history as pioneers in Japan's camera industry - hence the interviews in the 90th Anniversary Year of Nikkor Lenses (we can expect to hear more about this through 2024).... F Nikkors will continue to sell, even as DSLR sales continue to decline.

So it will be a few years yet before ALL F Mount lenses are discontinued.

Interesting interview and a good read….thanks for bringing this to the forum. I read it twice to let it all soak in so to speak. That Nikon is moving all manufacturing to Thailand and China (implied) comes as no surprise if the company is to remain solvent. When I read the additional remarks to the interview, it was disclosed that Nikon is hoping to reduce manufacturing costs by 60% with this plan. It simply costs too much to produce the cameras and lenses in Japan. Labor costs are significantly less elsewhere. The last Nikon products made in Japan, that I bought new were a Df body and a 80-400mm lens. Both had exceptional build qualities.

The production termination of “F” mount lenses comes as no surprise either. You might also be pressed to find a new, in the box D850 or D6. Nikon has apparently moved on and is “all in” with the mirrorless platform. When I first read this interview I was a little “put-off” and felt like being thrown under the bus. But that didn’t last very long.. I have Z cameras and lenses for the quantum leap advantages they bring to the table…..

Nikon’s vision, via the company rep, is more directional than substance. Two in production lenses are mentioned… the “NOCT” & “PLENA”. We get it.. these are incredible lenses. But a tele “NOCT”?.. The “Z” 58mm version is $7K+ What would a 200-300mm “NOCT” set you back? The new “PLENA” is the Z version of the F/mount 105mm & 135mm DC (defocus control) lenses. I have both “F” versions and like them. The 58mm “F” NOCT is not cheap on the used market either….😕

I’m left wondering, like others, what market is Nikon targeting? Maybe they’re throwing it against the wall to see what “sticks”….don’t know. Lots of high end glass that few can afford seem to be in the plans…🧐 The “Peta Pixel” (spl) interviewer broached the subject of kit lenses to go out the door with the low to mid range Z’s. The rep said these lenses were difficult to design and didn’t say much beyond that.

What Nikon should know is that their support base is primarily made up of hobbyists, journalists, and the scientific community. The family camera seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird with all the latest phone versions….that of course do other things as well….

The FTZ adapters have worked somewhat to blend the 2 platforms. But not to the level of ignoring the new Z lenses. I guess we’ll all wait to see what Nikon does next..🧐

On the controversial subject of costs then and today.... Well the 2nd interview emphasizes the Zf and Zfc, which are affordable, even compared against a high end smartphone. As are the kit lenses. I've read many camera owners do not not buy much more besides a ILC and 1 or 2 kit lenses. Nikon has not lost sight of emerging markets (eg women buying the Zf and Zfc) despite repeated statements (recent Annual Reports) it sees Hobbyists and Pros as the primary markets for its ILC products

I was surprised the respondent flagged the challenges of R&D of kit lenses in the first PP interview, but it's clear Nikon continues to recognize their importance in the Z System. My experience has been most positive with the 18-55 G and 18-200 G (On D7200 and D500), also 16-50 DX on the Zfc.

4 decades back, Nikon was not affordable for most of us (especially university students) eg a new FM2 and particularly the respected Nikkors, such as 105 f2.5AIS, 200 f4AIS. I finally a managed to afford a well Used F3 only in 1990 with the help of an inheritance :) A telephoto Micro-Nikkor cost more than a FM2 in 1987... and then there was the cost of slide film in them olde days :oops:

source on NR - December 1986 Nikon prices

1706257952375.png

1706258013039.png

1706258125975.png

1706258226408.png

Last edited:
On the controversial subject of costs then and today.... Well the 2nd interview emphasizes the Zf and Zfc, which are affordable, even compared against a high end smartphone. As are the kit lenses. I've read many camera owners do not not buy much more besides a ILC and 1 or 2 kit lenses. So Nikon has not lost sight of emerging markets (eg women buying the Zf and Zfc) despite repeated statements (recent Annual Reports) it sees Hobbyists and Pros as the primary markets for its ILC products

I was surprised the respondent flagged the challenges of R&D of kit lenses in the first PP interview, and clearly Nikon continues to recognize their importance in the Z System. My experience has been most positive with the 18-55 G and 18-200 G (On D7200 and D500), also 16-50 DX on the Zfc.

4 decades back, Nikon was not affordable for most of us (especially university students) eg a new FM2 and particularly the respected Nikkors, such as 105 f2.5AIS, 200 f4AIS. I finally a managed to afford a well Used F3 only in 1990 with the help of an inheritance :) A telephoto Micro-Nikkor cost more than a FM2 in 1987... and then there was the cost of slide film in them olde days :oops:

View attachment 79948

View attachment 79949

View attachment 79950

View attachment 79951
In 1986 my take home pay wasn't hitting $800 a month! Love seeing old ads with prices like this. Thanks for sharing.

In 1986 my take home pay wasn't hitting $800 a month! Love seeing old ads with prices like this. Thanks for sharing.
Actually, i was very fortunate to own a new FM2 in 1984, but only from trading in a big array of inherited camera gear. Building up a Nikon system from then on took a few more years!
Those price lists also reveal the high price of a FA compared to the F3 flagship(s). Somewhat analogous to the pricing of a Z8 to Z9 today, or D850 to D5 (D6). The other significant change since the 1980s is the tightening up of Nikon's range of branded products (including flashes, macro accessories, and notably the special camera cases).... these dropped away some years ago.

Last edited:
On the controversial subject of costs then and today.... Well the 2nd interview emphasizes the Zf and Zfc, which are affordable, even compared against a high end smartphone. As are the kit lenses. I've read many camera owners do not not buy much more besides a ILC and 1 or 2 kit lenses. Nikon has not lost sight of emerging markets (eg women buying the Zf and Zfc) despite repeated statements (recent Annual Reports) it sees Hobbyists and Pros as the primary markets for its ILC products

I was surprised the respondent flagged the challenges of R&D of kit lenses in the first PP interview, but it's clear Nikon continues to recognize their importance in the Z System. My experience has been most positive with the 18-55 G and 18-200 G (On D7200 and D500), also 16-50 DX on the Zfc.

View attachment 79948

View attachment 79949

View attachment 79950

View attachment 79951
Once again, thanks for the update posting. The 1986 pricing is revealing and puts things in perspective. I see that the 58mm f/1.2 (noct?) was priced at $700! That was 37 years ago..😳 No wonder it’s still expensive in 2024. I bought my 1st Nikon in 1970 at a PX in Vietnam. It was $204 with the 1.4 lens… That was a month’s pay…Still have it…..

View attachment 79948

View attachment 79949

View attachment 79950

View attachment 79951
I used to look at the ads in Popular photography every month and wonder when I could afford to own Nikon. I started off with Pentax but wanted lenses they didn't make but Nikon did. IIRC, the N8008 was my first Nikon...
Sometimes Nikon lags behind the competition but eventually they hit it out of the park. They are back to hitting homers with the Zf, Z8, Z9 and S level glass...:)

More of the same messages but some new revelations. Ohshita is surprisingly candid. However, Nikon has officially teased an additional 9 new Z Nikkors in its 90th Anniversary page.

"In rare but welcome candor, Ohshita admits that there are some F-mount lenses that he hopes come to the Nikkor Z system. Although Nikon has made significant progress with its Nikkor Z lineup, there are still some gaps....
.... But rather than simply incorporating these functions into Nikkor Z lenses (without being technology-driven), I believe it would be better to consider what customers expect from these lenses and explore alternative means of providing them. It is imperative to carefully consider customer expectations and find innovative ways to meet their needs.”..."

2nd Interview about Haptics of cameras, particularly design of Z Mirrorless, posting here as they are published in 3 Parts

It is worth noting that the 9 "coming soon" entries on the Anniversary page you linked are very likely to be old/existing lenses. After all, this page is a "A History in 18 Iconic Lenses"

Back