Nikon lens and camera sale

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon sent me a link to view their sale lens and camera items. Their Z 7II is now $700 off and on sale for $2297. I have the Z6II and the original Z7. I've recently bought the 600 PF lens. I wanted the 180-600 lens but I've been on the B&H waiting list forever. I came into a little money and decided to go to the 600 PF instead of waiting for the 180-600. The 600mm on my Z8 seems great but I often see something under foot that I want to take photos of but there's that 13 foot space needed to get focus. So i'm thinking about carrying two camaras. The Z6II has never been my favorite camera and I prefer the Z7's high pixel rate for close-ups and landscapes. I almost purchased the Z7II but keep hesitating because the Z7 mostly has everything I need except I miss the Z8's Subject detection options. The Z7II at least has the people and animal detection options. $700 off is better than buying a used Z7II but I just can't make up my mind about buying a camera that is almost the same as my Z7. I keep think I should just buy another Z z. Maybe the Z 100-400 mm, or even the 70-200. I just bought the Z 1.4 TC. Any opinions??

Nikon sale

Assuming you’re shooting wildlife, here’s my thoughts. A Z7II provides good options for subject detection. The 100-400 lens is easily available and works wonderfully with the Z7II. It also provides for much closer focus distance than the 600 PF. Pair it with the 1.4TC and you’re at 560mm on the long end, albeit at f/8.

Last edited:
Switching lenses in the field carries the challenge of keeping dust and debris out of exposed parts.. We get that. The 2 camera option will make your field excursions a bit challenging also. Given the parameters of what’s acceptable to your ($) and needs (45mp), the Z7ii seems to be the “forced choice” to have the focal lengths covered. Another option is the rumored Z7iii if you want to wait it out…..🤔

If you can afford it, Z8 is best option in my opinion. If not, $700 off Z7ii is a great deal. As for 180-600, you may look into ordering from a small dealer that does not have a big waiting list. I picked up mine from Tucson Camera Repair and still had to wait a couple months, but not as long as the mega stores that have hundreds of people on the waiting list.

FWIW, here's my take on your purchase dilemma. Re: the lens. Since you have the 600PF, the 180-600 makes little sense to me because it's not S and not as sharp as what you're getting used to with the 600PF, and it's 1.4lbs. heavier than either the 70-200 or 100-400. The 70-200 and 100-400 cost about the same, weigh within 2 oz. of each other and have Minimum Focus Distance of 20" and 30", respectively. Both work well with the Z1.4 TC. So it comes down to aperture and reach. The 70-200 lets in 2X the light that the 100-400 lets in. The 100-400 has 2X the reach. In combination with your 600PF, either will work great. But if you want to carry only one lens, with similar to 600 reach with flexibility of closer focus, the 100-400 might be a better choice. If you enjoy shooting hummers or insects or anything in low light, then the 70-200 might be better. Good luck!

I have the z7ii and until recently it was my backup to the Z9.

The z7ii is a nice, super-light camera but it has fallen behind in technology and the Z8 is a much more capable camera particularly with autofocus. I have seen used Z8's for sale close to $3000.

That being said the Z7ii is very light and takes good quality images.

I think the reason it is so cheap is because they are close to discontinuing the model and something new is coming out.

I used a Z7 and Z7ii side by side for wildlife until I got the Z9. Initially, the Z7ii was enough better to make it worthwhile. Since the firmware updates to the original Z7, from a wildlife perspective, I didn’t notice a difference anymore. There are still some advantages to a Z7ii, but nothing I’d consider worth the cost for wildlife. If you want a second body I’d go with a second Z8, Zf, or wait for the Z6iii or just use your Z7.

I have the 70-200mm f2.8. It is an inherent.ly sharp lens and can work with the 2x tc out to 400mm. but runs out of reach after that.

I agree the 600mm pf is going to be much sharper at 600mm than the 180-600 zoom.

I was just recently reviewing some of my shots taken with the 600 pf at 840 with the 1.4 tc. You have some room to crop or go dx at that level and the lens thus has a lot of reach out on t.he far side.

The 400mm f4.5 is also an option although it is a bit close to the 600mm.

You really don't want to manage more than two lenses at the same time in this general range so a zoom like the 100-400mm makes sense.

I have not used the 180-600. I have picked one up in a store and it is not a compact or light lens.

I have a Z8 that is mostly paired with a Z800. It is a good combination but not really hand holdable for too long. I also have a Z7II mounted with either a 500 pf or the Z100-400. Frankly, when I take both of these rigs to the field it takes a lot of thought and planning because in combination, they are just plain awkward.

In most cases, the Z7II goes into a backpack and the Z8 is on a shoulder strap with a quick disconnect on the lens foot. This means the only really handy camera is the Z8. When I get to a hide, the Z8 goes on a tripod and the Z7II becomes the handheld. Sometimes it is worth the hassle in areas I have previously scouted. Generally, not for just walk about.

I have the Z7II and the Z8.

IMHO there is no point at this stage in spending money to upgrade to a Z7II from a Z7. The image quality is the same, and although the II has better AF options, it is way behind the Z8 and frustrating to use for wildlife action.

I find the Z100-400 an incredibly versatile lens, such that I rarely use the 70-200. It takes the 1.4 t/c very well.

I recommend saving your money until you see the successor to the aging Z7II.

Alternatively, sell the Z6II (which you do not like) and the Z7, and use the proceeds towards the amazing Z8.

Thanks for the responses.
I've ordered the 100-400mm lens. The 600mm is great ,but not for walk-around . Too often I want to shoot something up close The 100-400 will be much more versatile and useful than upgrading the Z7 to the Z7II, I think. I just receive the new Z TC-1.4x which should make a decent combo with my Z8.

Thanks for the responses.
I've ordered the 100-400mm lens. The 600mm is great ,but not for walk-around . Too often I want to shoot something up close The 100-400 will be much more versatile and useful than upgrading the Z7 to the Z7II, I think. I just receive the new Z TC-1.4x which should make a decent combo with my Z8.
Didn’t realize you had a Z8. In that case buying a 100-400 absolutely makes sense. Enjoy!

Back