Nikon lens simulator gone, alternatives for telephoto?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The online comparisons I've seen on Nikon websites only go to a 300 field of view and no narrower for telephotos

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah its really sad that Nikon decided to take this tool down. It was the only one where one could quickly compare different focal lengths up to the 800 + TC (I think).
My hope is that they will revamp this with the new Z lenses.

I find myself returning to this calculator. It doesn't show you, but tells the exact width, height, and diagonal at a given distance. Probably be easy to construct a visual for common distances and focal lengths that you use often. Or just make a table for a given lens.

The other thing you might be able to do is walk around with a mental image for a given focal length of what distance is needed for something one foot by 1.5 foot to fill the frame.

For example at 600 mm on a full frame camera you might visualize that an imaginary subject 1 by 1.5 feet would fill the frame at 25 feet. Once you memorize this you can easily picture what would happen at 50 feet ( the distance doubles so the field of view would double each dimension to 2 by 3 feet). Of course at 100 feet is doubles again to 4 by 6 feet).

Back