Nikon Next Steps

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, I previously posted here about camera choices and got some great feedback and now I'm looking for some help again. First, a little background:

1. I have shot a variety of camera bodies since I was a kid in the 70s, 80s and 90s with film and still shoot film today along with street photography. This is about 50% of what I do. No paid work there, just a few competitions, etc.
  2. I have shot Nikon DSLRs for paid event photography from the early 2000s and learned digital through Nikon. Events, portraits and all other photography are about 35% of what I shoot.
  3. In 2021, I began shooting wildlife, mostly backyard birds. I used a Nikon D750. That same year I was healing from a hand procedure. Birds and wildlife are about 15% of what I shoot.
  4. In 2022 I sold all my F-mount lenses because of the weight. I was still trying to be careful with my thumb (I had something called DeQuervain's Tynosynivitis which affects the tendon running up from the wrist to the thumb. I also have tendinitis in my wrists). Since I used Fuji bodies for street photography, I purchased a Fujifilm X-H2S and picked up a long lens for my beginning birding adventures.
  5. I spent most of 2023 studying the Fujifilm X-H2S and maxed out on possibilities for the autofocus. I improved my shots by 50%, but have spent WAY too much time on the computer editing my event photography images due to a number of issues which would be a lot to elaborate on in this post.
  6. In late 2023, I bought the Zf and fell in love!! I use it all the time, along with some the one remaining f-mount lens I own, several old SLR lenses and the 40mm f/2, 50mm. f.18. Love, love, love!
  7. In January of 2024 I rented the OM-1, tried some lenses I could afford and wasn't crazy about the results, though the AF seemed very nice. I soon learned that if I wanted the best keeper rate for birding, I'd have to buy the bigger glass, which now means the same amount of weight or close to what I would have on a Nikon camera and definitely exceed the Fujifilm.
In June the Z6III was released and it seems the path forward. I sent my Fujifilm to MPB for an official quote yesterday. Here's my quandary:

Given the percentages of what I shoot from numbers 1-3 above, the Z6III seems to be beyond my needs. I also have to say I REALLY DO NOT like flip screens on cameras. I deal with it on the Zf because I basically close the LCD and shoot with the viewfinder only...in most cases.

The replacement camera needs to arrive by September when event shooting season starts again and when I probably will begin traveling again. Should I try to just use my Zf? With the grip and the 50mm 1.8, it is well-balanced enough that it's on the border line of safety for my tendinitis. If I were to pick up a longer lens for birding, my solution there would be to attach it to my monopod and carry it that way. For events, it's not a big issue since whatever wide zoom lens I'd buy would not exceed my weight limit (currently, right at about 5lbs). The only thing that might be an issue is not having a settings bank for each lighting situation. I rarely use flash but sometimes need it.

What about the Z6II? Would that frustrate me for the 15% I shoot nature/wildlife? Or can I make it work? I can see the Z6II being my main body for events and the zf my back up.

My goal is to not over buy gear but use what I have if possible and if it'll work for my scenario. I prefer to learn the ins and outs of a camera first. If I must buy, then I need a camera that will not have a ginormous grip, forcing my thumb to move around the tracking mechanism repeatedly. If I buy, I also want a good investment long-term.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

What about the Z6II? Would that frustrate me for the 15% I shoot nature/wildlife? Or can I make it work? I can see the Z6II being my main body for events and the zf my back up.
From what you describe I'd probably just stick with the Zf unless the ergonomic problems you touch on are a show stopper. That said I used the Z6 II for a lot of my photography including quite a bit of wildlife work including fast flying birds. Yup, its AF system and frame rate aren't up to par with the Z8/Z9 or even the Z6 III but it can certainly fill a lot of photographic needs and its low light characteristics are pretty impressive.

It really comes down to budget and primary needs. If it's in the budget I can't see how you'd regret the Z6 III as from initial reviews it's a big step up in terms of AF performance but if budget is tighter another Zf or a Z6 II to back up your Zf sound like very good choices based on what you've posted. If high speed action was the bulk of your photography then I'd probably suggest at least a Z6 III if not a Z8.

From what you describe I'd probably just stick with the Zf unless the ergonomic problems you touch on are a show stopper. That said I used the Z6 II for a lot of my photography including quite a bit of wildlife work including fast flying birds. Yup, it's AF system and frame rate aren't up to par with the Z8/Z9 or even the Z6 III but it can certainly fill a lot of photographic needs and its low light characteristics are pretty impressive.

It really comes down to budget and primary needs. If it's in the budget I can't see how you'd regret the Z6 III as from initial reviews it's a big step up in terms of AF performance but if budget is tighter another Zf or a Z6 II to back up your Zf sound like very good choices based on what you've posted. If high speed action was the bulk of your photography then I'd probably suggest at least a Z6 III if not a Z8.
Thank you for that @DRwyoming ... I work a day job and am lucky enough to be able to afford extra gear. I could spend it on a Z8 for that matter. It comes down to principle and what makes sense. I don't like throwing money at a brand new camera with so many bells and whistles that while it may have a good resale value, is beyond my needs.

I am not getting paid to do the event work full-time, so if the Zf or a Z6II for example, can handle events and occasional birding, I'd rather avoid the expense (and maybe a divorce!) ;)

If it cannot or will frustrate, then that's when I am fine with purchasing something like the Z8.

If it cannot or will frustrate, then that's when I am fine with purchasing something like the Z8.
Yeah, if action photography including fast flying birds becomes a primary interest the Z6 II at times will frustrate compared to a Z8 or Z6 III but for most other uses including street and event photography (assuming those events aren't fast moving sports type events) the Z6 II is a great camera.

FWIW, here's a few action oriented wildlife photos I captured with the Z6 II. Yeah, I missed some similar attempted shots and I nail more of those with the Z8 or Z9 and expect my hit rate would be higher with the Z6 III as well. But the point is the AF system in the Z6 II isn't as bad as some of the internet chatter might have you believe. Yup there are better action oriented cameras out there but the Z6 II is no slouch.

Z62_2880--20210905-web3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z62_6450--20210514-web2.jpg

Z62_9838--20210626-web2.jpg

no, don’t do this. the z6ii and z6iii basically have different af systems. stick with expeed7 based solutions like the z6iii, zf (and eventually others)

i tried the z6ii for dog action photography and it’s af system isn’t optimal for demanding tasks. and using two systems is frustrating, especially back to back

i think i’d order the z6iii and use the zf until it comes and then the zf can be your backup

I have a Z8 and a Z6iii. I've used the Z6iii exclusively since it was in stores.

For general use, the Z6iii is excellent. It has a lot of capability for stills and video, and is a great event camera. It's smaller and lighter than a Z8. I woudl have no reservations. For bird photography it's not really up to my expectations. I find the all purpose Animal AF finds the subject, and may indicate it is finding the head or eye, but the actual success rate is lower than I would expect. I think it will need a firmware update to add dedicated Bird AF as is found in the Z8 and Z9 for AF to truly be top notch. Low light and bright light focus is very good - far better than I would have expected.

I'm generally very happy with the Z6iii. But you'll need to decide on how important bird photography is, and whether subject detection is critical or nice to have. Other AF modes without subject detection are great. For events it is without question a terrific camera.

For hand issues, the 400 f/4.5 would be a very good choice as a lens for birding. It's lighter than the 70-200 and very sharp. It also works well with the teleconverters. For small birds it may not be long enough, but if that is the subject matter of choice and you are talking about longer distances, you'll have to evaluate the added weight of a 600mm PF or 800mm PF against the added weight.

I own the Zf and the Z8.

If 15% of what you shoot is wildlife I would stick with the Zf. That’s where the z6iii would show its advantage, all the other types of shooting I don’t think you’ll notice much difference. That’s how it is for my Zf and Z8. Z8 really shines for the wildlife for the blackout free viewfinder and 45mp cropping ability for small birds and such.

The Zf can still return a lot of keepers for wildlife, its AF is a big step up over the Z5/6/7 lines. I owned the Z5 prior to the Zf and Z8 which doesn’t have the framerate of the Z6 but the autofocus is very similar. I’ve had the same results as others where the Z8’s bird subject has an advantage over animal on the Zf. It still gets them, just not as well.

Shooting normal subjects the Zf is just as fast as the z8 for me. It’s still a quite fast shooting camera on its own. And if you enjoy the dials/retro experience that’s a type of performance on its own that’s missing in the others. I have more fun shooting with the Zf than the Z8, the Z8 is just technically better for certain subjects.

Thank you all for the comments! Based on the excellent comments from @EricBowles in particular, I think what makes most sense right now is to pick up the 400mm and try it on the Zf, adding a TC if needed. I hobbled along for a really long time with the D750 and the 300mm PF and got by.

When event season starts again, I may actually think about the Z8 if I start shooting more wildlife/birds. I looked it up and the Z8 1/2 a pound heavier than the Z6iii. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a huge deal. It's the lens that worries me and the 400mm if I can swing it is a doable combo weight-wise. Plus the Z8 has the screen I like, sensor shield, more resolution... seems like a winner.

As info, my events are fast-paced so critical AF does actually matter. We'll see how I do with the Zf when September comes. I just need a wide angle now with the 400mm and I should be set, hopefully.

Thank you all so much!

I own the Zf and the Z8.

If 15% of what you shoot is wildlife I would stick with the Zf. That’s where the z6iii would show its advantage, all the other types of shooting I don’t think you’ll notice much difference. That’s how it is for my Zf and Z8. Z8 really shines for the wildlife for the blackout free viewfinder and 45mp cropping ability for small birds and such.

The Zf can still return a lot of keepers for wildlife, its AF is a big step up over the Z5/6/7 lines. I owned the Z5 prior to the Zf and Z8 which doesn’t have the framerate of the Z6 but the autofocus is very similar. I’ve had the same results as others where the Z8’s bird subject has an advantage over animal on the Zf. It still gets them, just not as well.

Shooting normal subjects the Zf is just as fast as the z8 for me. It’s still a quite fast shooting camera on its own. And if you enjoy the dials/retro experience that’s a type of performance on its own that’s missing in the others. I have more fun shooting with the Zf than the Z8, the Z8 is just technically better for certain subjects.
totally agree with this and let's see how I do with the Zf! (see my previous comment). thank you @Lee R !

totally agree with this and let's see how I do with the Zf! (see my previous comment). thank you @Lee R !
The Nikon manual for the Zf is terrible for ISO setup. You probably have it sorted but I’ll throw this out just incase or if others use the camera since so many reviewers missed it. This helps for the more hectic paced street shooting or events.

I use my Zf in M most of the time. For speedy settings changes I like ISO set to auto and the minimum set to 200, this way the ISO dial becomes the max auto ISO ceiling and the camera always attempts to use the lowest possible for my aperture and shutter selection. For example spin ISO dial to 6400 and that’s your max auto ISO, the camera will always try to use lower all the way to 100 if it can. This makes coming in and out of shadow or changing lighting a lot more forgiving in variable or fast changing settings. The camera will also work like this in S mode, however A/P it will act as a minimum ISO setting so for those I prefer the next paragraph.

Bind the red record button as the ISO button. Now if you want to use A/P modes with auto ISO, you spin the ISO to C and use the ISO button like every other Nikon, hold down red and front wheel to turn auto on or off and rear will adjust ISO or the auto ISO range if that’s on.

Many reviewers claimed that you need to go into menus to turn Auto ISO on or off or to adjust those settings, this is not true if you use the red record as ISO (or any other button you choose to bind to). I also like to keep my rear screen flipped around and out of the way on the ZF so this makes sure that I don’t need to menu dive for anything and have good control over the exposure triangle without frustration.

Anyway hope this helps you or others with the Zf as Nikon didn’t really explain this stuff in the manual well. But this has helped me use the camera much faster for when the situations demand it.

The Nikon manual for the Zf is terrible for ISO setup. You probably have it sorted but I’ll throw this out just incase or if others use the camera since so many reviewers missed it. This helps for the more hectic paced street shooting or events.

I use my Zf in M most of the time. For speedy settings changes I like ISO set to auto and the minimum set to 200, this way the ISO dial becomes the max auto ISO ceiling and the camera always attempts to use the lowest possible for my aperture and shutter selection. For example spin ISO dial to 6400 and that’s your max auto ISO, the camera will always try to use lower all the way to 100 if it can. This makes coming in and out of shadow or changing lighting a lot more forgiving in variable or fast changing settings. The camera will also work like this in S mode, however A/P it will act as a minimum ISO setting so for those I prefer the next paragraph.

Bind the red record button as the ISO button. Now if you want to use A/P modes with auto ISO, you spin the ISO to C and use the ISO button like every other Nikon, hold down red and front wheel to turn auto on or off and rear will adjust ISO or the auto ISO range if that’s on.

Many reviewers claimed that you need to go into menus to turn Auto ISO on or off or to adjust those settings, this is not true if you use the red record as ISO (or any other button you choose to bind to). I also like to keep my rear screen flipped around and out of the way on the ZF so this makes sure that I don’t need to menu dive for anything and have good control over the exposure triangle without frustration.

Anyway hope this helps you or others with the Zf as Nikon didn’t really explain this stuff in the manual well. But this has helped me use the camera much faster for when the situations demand it.
This is a lifesaver @Lee R ... I too use manual 95% of the time. it was explained differently on a couple of YouTube videos so I have definitely been limiting myself. I just wish I had gotten this before I photographed a (thankfully, casual family) event this afternoon! I couldn't figure out why my ISO kept apparently dropping to 100 when I was following what was told, but was told incorrectly. I'll give this a try in the coming days. I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify this!

I definitely also need a sharp event lens for lower light sooner than later. The 40mm f/2 is wonderful for casual shooting and worked fine today, but in a couple of months the events will be back on and I'll need to grab a 14-24 or something similar.

Thank you again!

Yeah, if action photography including fast flying birds becomes a primary interest the Z6 II at times will frustrate compared to a Z8 or Z6 III but for most other uses including street and event photography (assuming those events aren't fast moving sports type events) the Z6 II is a great camera.

FWIW, here's a few action oriented wildlife photos I captured with the Z6 II. Yeah, I missed some similar attempted shots and I nail more of those with the Z8 or Z9 and expect my hit rate would be higher with the Z6 III as well. But the point is the AF system in the Z6 II isn't as bad as some of the internet chatter might have you believe. Yup there are better action oriented cameras out there but the Z6 II is no slouch.
@DRwyoming beautiful shots! I agree that the 6II is not going to be a good option for me right now. My hope is to be able to share some Zf wildlife shots soon. Or report back next year with some Z8 shots ;)

This is a lifesaver @Lee R ... I too use manual 95% of the time. it was explained differently on a couple of YouTube videos so I have definitely been limiting myself. I just wish I had gotten this before I photographed a (thankfully, casual family) event this afternoon! I couldn't figure out why my ISO kept apparently dropping to 100 when I was following what was told, but was told incorrectly. I'll give this a try in the coming days. I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify this!

I definitely also need a sharp event lens for lower light sooner than later. The 40mm f/2 is wonderful for casual shooting and worked fine today, but in a couple of months the events will be back on and I'll need to grab a 14-24 or something similar.

Thank you

With the red ISO you can turn auto on/off in any mode, I should have mentioned that, makes it a snap if you want full manual on ISO again with the wheel.

I look forward to what you get for wildlife with yours! I got some bluebirds with mine this spring so it can catch birds in flight and precapture works well even though it’s JPEG.

That 14-24 looks like a great lens. I have the more compact 14-30 for travel and landscapes.

Here’s a few from the 14-30 over the past few months, some in Peru and one of the great salt lake in utah.

Last edited:

I have a Z6ii and while it is OK, and I'm not a wildlife photographer it has a few things that I have to live with that I don't like. The frame rate jumps from 5 fps to 20 with nothing in between for instance. I'm not a fan of the flip out LCD either, but I have a Fuji XT- 4 and recently added a XH-2s and while I'm not keen on flip out LCDs, they are not a deal breaker for me. I got the Z6ii as I was fed up waiting for the Z8 and after my due diligence, the Z7ii was no replacement for my D850, so I opted for the better low light and high ISO performance. Truth be told, I don't really miss the D850.

Now I'm thinking that the Z8 is maybe too much of a camera for what I shoot and the Z6iii could be the one for me - provided it has a better range of shutter speeds and the other things that annoy me on the Z6ii have been sorted out. If not I'll likely stick with the Z6ii.

I love the Xf in principal, have been a Fuji XT fan for years and have owned XT-1, XT-2 and XT-4s , but the Xf does not quite cut it for me

With the red ISO you can turn auto on/off in any mode, I should have mentioned that, makes it a snap if you want full manual on ISO again with the wheel.

I look forward to what you get for wildlife with yours! I got some bluebirds with mine this spring so it can catch birds in flight and precapture works well even though it’s JPEG.

That 14-24 looks like a great lens. I have the more compact 14-30 for travel and landscapes.

Here’s a few from the 14-30 over the past few months, some in Peru and one of the great salt lake in utah.

Those are incredible shots @Lee R ! I will have a look at that 14-30. I think using the cash for lenses instead of a new body really feels like the right move now. I’ve gone ahead and made notes on your ISO tips and will report back soon. Thank you!

All I can say is if serious hand issues are a concern wildlife photography may not be the best option as getting really good wildlife photos tend to lean towards longer glass. I have and love the 400 f4.5. Not only light but very well balanced. Also good with the 1.4tc. I use a z8 as this type of photography is my joy. The z8 is a powerhouse in this world. I’m a professional musician with over 60 years of abuse on my hands and have to deal with hand issues at all times. I only handhold so that means using gear I can handle. i would be wary of really small bodies with longer lenses as balance becomes an issue and this can really stress the hands. The z8 and the 400 f4.5 is a beautiful thing in my eyes. The balance is perfect and the camera is big enough to use comfortably. the biggest lens I use is the 600pf. Slightly larger than the 400 but pretty close. I’m not sure about the other cameras you mentioned as I have not used them.

Hi @macwalter sorry you struggle with the same thing. Yes, the zf and the 400mm 4.5 is where I am planning to start but.... if I want to continue shooting wildlife, my plan was to get the z8 next year. For now, the move is a slow step.

As a follow up @Lee R , I decided to go with the 17-28mm. It is lighter than most of the other wide lenses, 17 is plenty wide for shooting events (for me, anyway) and it feels comfortable.

If you don’t mind the increase in weight you will love the z8. I now have 2. One for my 400 f4.5 mainly closer birds and low light and one for my 600pf.i also have the 100-400z zoom for insects and other stuff to get close along the the 24-120 and both TCs. I feel fortunate that I am still able to play at a very high level and have found with some care and common sense I can photograph with the gear I have. Not sure what your thumb,hand issues are but for me my right thumb is the main concern and I have to careful to not bash the buttons too hard (back button AF) when I get excited. As I said balance for me is key and I wouldn’t want to give up wildlife photography as it is 90% do what I do. I love getting out in nature and being mobile hence no tripod. If the camera and lens is well balanced a pound or so doesn’t make much difference imop. The z8 is a powerful camera and can do most of what the z9 which is a heavy beast. I wouldn’t want to lug that thing around all day on my hikes. Good luck and try the 400f 4.5 It is a lovely and well balanced lens.

Maybe a DX body could be an option for your wildlife shots but unfortunately there is no current model with Expeed 7 in the lineup. Nikon just has suspended orders for the z50. They have gotten many orders during the various rebate programs all over the world that obviously has depleted stock. I guess that they won’t produce a new batch of that camera and that there is a successor coming soon. At least a lot of people expect that.

If there wasn’t the September deadline you mentioned this also could be an option: Z50ii with 4.5/400mm but I fully understand if that is too risky for you. It may or may not come until September - who knows…

If tat is no option I personally would go with the 4.5/400mm with the Zf and see how you get along with it. It is a fantastic lens for its size and weight and with a 1.4x converter it barely loses image quality on a 24MP body. If those 15% wildlife is mainly in your garden, you will have other options to make it work. A hide for example will get you close enough to the birds. It is cheaper and doesn’t add weight to your hands. And for 15% of your whole shots a Z8 might be overkill even it’s a fantastic camera…

Photography and weight are always issues and bird/wildlife photography typically uses the heaviest equipment.

I have a small amount of medical knowledge enough to know that hand issues are highly complex and should be managed by a specialist hand clinic.

I don't know what the treatment options for your conditions are and in particular whether the restrictions are permanent.

The problem is, for serious birding reach is commonly an issue, which means longer and heavier lenses are preferred. It also means the higher megapixel cameras are preferred because of the ability to crop substantially.

I have the 400mm f4.5 and I shoot with 47mp cameras. That is a wonderful lens and I can do a lot with it. At the same time 400mm is just not long enough for many situations and I found the need for longer. That means heavier lenses.

Sometimes with these medical conditions we need to give our body time to rest and heal.

From what I know of these cameras I would stay with the Zf.

Hello, I previously posted here about camera choices and got some great feedback and now I'm looking for some help again. First, a little background:

1. I have shot a variety of camera bodies since I was a kid in the 70s, 80s and 90s with film and still shoot film today along with street photography. This is about 50% of what I do. No paid work there, just a few competitions, etc.
  2. I have shot Nikon DSLRs for paid event photography from the early 2000s and learned digital through Nikon. Events, portraits and all other photography are about 35% of what I shoot.
  3. In 2021, I began shooting wildlife, mostly backyard birds. I used a Nikon D750. That same year I was healing from a hand procedure. Birds and wildlife are about 15% of what I shoot.
  4. In 2022 I sold all my F-mount lenses because of the weight. I was still trying to be careful with my thumb (I had something called DeQuervain's Tynosynivitis which affects the tendon running up from the wrist to the thumb. I also have tendinitis in my wrists). Since I used Fuji bodies for street photography, I purchased a Fujifilm X-H2S and picked up a long lens for my beginning birding adventures.
  5. I spent most of 2023 studying the Fujifilm X-H2S and maxed out on possibilities for the autofocus. I improved my shots by 50%, but have spent WAY too much time on the computer editing my event photography images due to a number of issues which would be a lot to elaborate on in this post.
  6. In late 2023, I bought the Zf and fell in love!! I use it all the time, along with some the one remaining f-mount lens I own, several old SLR lenses and the 40mm f/2, 50mm. f.18. Love, love, love!
  7. In January of 2024 I rented the OM-1, tried some lenses I could afford and wasn't crazy about the results, though the AF seemed very nice. I soon learned that if I wanted the best keeper rate for birding, I'd have to buy the bigger glass, which now means the same amount of weight or close to what I would have on a Nikon camera and definitely exceed the Fujifilm.
In June the Z6III was released and it seems the path forward. I sent my Fujifilm to MPB for an official quote yesterday. Here's my quandary:

Given the percentages of what I shoot from numbers 1-3 above, the Z6III seems to be beyond my needs. I also have to say I REALLY DO NOT like flip screens on cameras. I deal with it on the Zf because I basically close the LCD and shoot with the viewfinder only...in most cases.

The replacement camera needs to arrive by September when event shooting season starts again and when I probably will begin traveling again. Should I try to just use my Zf? With the grip and the 50mm 1.8, it is well-balanced enough that it's on the border line of safety for my tendinitis. If I were to pick up a longer lens for birding, my solution there would be to attach it to my monopod and carry it that way. For events, it's not a big issue since whatever wide zoom lens I'd buy would not exceed my weight limit (currently, right at about 5lbs). The only thing that might be an issue is not having a settings bank for each lighting situation. I rarely use flash but sometimes need it.

My goal is to not over buy gear but use what I have if possible and if it'll work for my scenario. I prefer to learn the ins and outs of a camera first. If I must buy, then I need a camera that will not have a ginormous grip, forcing my thumb to move around the tracking mechanism repeatedly. If I buy, I also want a good investment long-term.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.
Date the Camera marry the glass, there is no such thing as investment long term in digital.

You need to go and physically handle each camera re your ergonomic issue.

You have experience with the ZF, rent a Z6III even with a grip that may offer a surprising difference in holding ergonomics, if you like the Z6III you can have the rental cost deducted from your purchase price at least with Nikon directly.

The ZF and Z6III are not the same cameras, there two different tools.

The difference is in processor generation, focus performance, overall power and performance, the Z6 III is next level.

If you drive a slow car in a race you will always be a slow driver, you need the Z6III to grow into, that's where your bit of future proofing or longevity will come from, you will also grow further as a photographer.

The Z6III it will cover all subjects including wild life or any form of sports action or nature yet do everything you currently do.

Is the Z6III to much camera for you, far from it, its better than the ZF and after a short while you will find its still not enough for you.

Sometimes we get held back by thinking of things that in the end actually seem to be a non issue.

Simple choice, the ZF or the Z6III, there is no thinking necessary its the Z6 III, it will take you further faster and easier with more performance and versatility.

Only you can eventually decide by touch.

You should experience 45mp in the Z7III looming, by the sounds of it the Z8 is to big and heavy for you. The Z6III is in my view the Mirror less modern version of the D750 slot.

PS, if the ZF does it all for you already, that's brilliant, focus on glass not another camera.

Only an opinion

If you don’t mind the increase in weight you will love the z8. I now have 2. One for my 400 f4.5 mainly closer birds and low light and one for my 600pf.i also have the 100-400z zoom for insects and other stuff to get close along the the 24-120 and both TCs. I feel fortunate that I am still able to play at a very high level and have found with some care and common sense I can photograph with the gear I have. Not sure what your thumb,hand issues are but for me my right thumb is the main concern and I have to careful to not bash the buttons too hard (back button AF) when I get excited. As I said balance for me is key and I wouldn’t want to give up wildlife photography as it is 90% do what I do. I love getting out in nature and being mobile hence no tripod. If the camera and lens is well balanced a pound or so doesn’t make much difference imop. The z8 is a powerful camera and can do most of what the z9 which is a heavy beast. I wouldn’t want to lug that thing around all day on my hikes. Good luck and try the 400f 4.5 It is a lovely and well balanced lens.
Hi @macwalter - yes, I have both tendinitis in my wrists and something called DeQuervain's Tenosynivitis in my right thumb. It's a painful inflammatory condition that happened in 2020. I got a PRP (platelet rich plasma injection) procedure done and PT as well and now can use it ok but I have to be very cautious not to overuse or twist it in any way. I'm already starting to feel it in my other thumb! So I wear braces and such to protect the tendons.

In any case, my plan sounds like it will work. I plan to rent the 400mm 4.5 for my Zf on my next outing. If I can tolerate that in a day's shooting, then I'll buy the lens and the 1.4x TC and ride it out this year. Then next year, if I continue shooting wildlife as I have been, I'll pick up the Z8. It sounds perfect for both my wildlife interests along with my event shooting! Thank you.

@PeterT - I think a blind is a great suggestion. I have a large backyard and that would provide me an opportunity to practice. Also, regarding the z50, there are still some out there used that are fairly cheap. Is it worth it though - especially with the 400mm?

@wotan1 - see my response to MacWalter above. I am no longer in pain BUT if I'm not careful, I can re-injure. That being said, it sounds like you might be in the best position to answer this question: Would you say the Z50 with the 400mm is a bad choice and still say to stick with the Zf? IQ is a big deal to me so much so that if I don't get the quality I like - and I can be a little demanding since I shot with medium format film for years - then I'd rather not do it.

Thank you all for the help!

Date the Camera marry the glass, there is no such thing as investment long term in digital.

You need to go and physically handle each camera re your ergonomic issue.

You have experience with the ZF, rent a Z6III even with a grip that may offer a surprising difference in holding ergonomics, if you like the Z6III you can have the rental cost deducted from your purchase price at least with Nikon directly.

The ZF and Z6III are not the same cameras, there two different tools.

The difference is in processor generation, focus performance, overall power and performance, the Z6 III is next level.

If you drive a slow car in a race you will always be a slow driver, you need the Z6III to grow into, that's where your bit of future proofing or longevity will come from, you will also grow further as a photographer.

The Z6III it will cover all subjects including wild life or any form of sports action or nature yet do everything you currently do.

Is the Z6III to much camera for you, far from it, its better than the ZF and after a short while you will find its still not enough for you.

Sometimes we get held back by thinking of things that in the end actually seem to be a non issue.

Simple choice, the ZF or the Z6III, there is no thinking necessary its the Z6 III, it will take you further faster and easier with more performance and versatility.

Only you can eventually decide by touch.

You should experience 45mp in the Z7III looming, by the sounds of it the Z8 is to big and heavy for you. The Z6III is in my view the Mirror less modern version of the D750 slot.

PS, if the ZF does it all for you already, that's brilliant, focus on glass not another camera.

Only an opinion
All very good points, thank you. The Zf so far has been the camera for me. So, unless I hear differently, it should suffice as long as the long lenses work out and don't stress my hands and wrists. The z7iii also sounds very appealing in lieu of the z8. However, bodies have to wait until next year. I've been slowly re-investing back into Nikon through quality z glass..

Reactions: O
@PeterT - I think a blind is a great suggestion. I have a large backyard and that would provide me an opportunity to practice. Also, regarding the z50, there are still some out there used that are fairly cheap. Is it worth it though - especially with the 400mm?

Thank you all for the help!

Tragopan or Buteo hides are the ones I considered over here in Germany. I bought the new version of the Buteo in the end. I think your September deadline makes things harder here. You could try the Z50 by buying one used and resell it again. With a DX camera and the 4.5/400mm you‘ll have the 1.5x crop factor that gives you the angle of view of a 600mm on a FX camera. And: if you have to crop into your Zf image you rapidly lose resolution. If you match the 1.5x crop from the Z50 with your Zf you‘ll end up with ca. 10MP. I wouldn’t worry too much about bokeh with DX - distance to subject is more important, me thinks.

If you like what you get with a 4.5/400mm and the Z50 regarding reach than you might sell it when a Z50ii or another DX camera with the new processor is out. I think the Z50 might not be top choice for wildlife regarding AF and it may frustrate you but who knows.

One thing to consider is maybe avoiding back button AF as this requires the use of your right thumb. Fortunately with mirrorless cameras this is less of an issue than with a dslr. My right thumb is my main issue and I have to be careful but so far so good. The weight difference between the z6iii and the z8 is 3/4 of a pound. Imop this is negligible with a big lens. The 400 f4.5 with the 1.4tc is about 3lbs I believe so your talking the difference between 5-6 pounds approximately. The z8 will blow the others away for wildlife and action. I would only consider the z6iii is cost were a big concern amd wildlife was not important. Also if you are using a tripod or even a monopod this can ease the strain on your hands. Steve Perry can give you excellent advice on what gear to use.

Back