Nikon RAW to JPEG, loss of color using NX Studio or Capture NX-D

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mark Garfinkel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I started transferring RAW files to JPEG and I noticed loss of color and detail. Any recommendations. The RAW file looks good.
DSC_4273_00123.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• DSC_4273.JPG
    DSC_4273.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 88
I'm not sure. I noticed the image you posted doesn't have a color space. You could try imbedding srgb see if it helps. Otherwise the jpeg should look the same as what you see in the raw converter. What do you mean by "transferring?" Exporting? Converting and saving?

I'm not sure. I noticed the image you posted doesn't have a color space. You could try imbedding srgb see if it helps. Otherwise the jpeg should look the same as what you see in the raw converter. What do you mean by "transferring?" Exporting? Converting and saving?
In Nikon Capture NX-D its called "Convert Files"

1647096736622.png

Your settings are wrong, or your compression is too high. Check above.

Capture NX-D/Studio is the only program I've found that accurately captures colors from Nikon NEF files. The two programs are identical. I usually have to convert to TIFF in order to import into Lightroom. Lightroom never handled NEF files correctly.

View attachment 34318

Your settings are wrong, or your compression is too high. Check above.

Capture NX-D/Studio is the only program I've found that accurately captures colors from Nikon NEF files. The two programs are identical. I usually have to convert to TIFF in order to import into Lightroom. Lightroom never handled NEF files correctly.

Comments and a link posted in another thread are saying using the newer "use camera settings" has helped with nef files. I found this with Canon as well, I used to always raw convert in dpp4, but now I'm rethinking it that lightroom has camera matching profiles.

https://kevinlisota.photography/202...ction-and-lens-profile-defaults-for-nikon-z9/

Comments and a link posted in another thread are saying using the newer "use camera settings" has helped with nef files. I found this with Canon as well, I used to always raw convert in dpp4, but now I'm rethinking it that lightroom has camera matching profiles.

https://kevinlisota.photography/202...ction-and-lens-profile-defaults-for-nikon-z9/

Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001 is what Capture NX/Studio uses. It might be updated now slightly. Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001 is not the same as Adobe's different sRGB profiles. I've never found it to match color for color, irrespective of what I've tried.

Since I shoot Nikon mostly for the color science, it's not worth it to me at this point to bother with Adobe profiles at all. The TIFF has the correct color profile, and imports fine in those instances I need Lightroom. That isn't often.

This was an interesting discussion going on at another forum. Here's a snippet. It's easy to get color space/icc profiles mixed up with picture control profiles. Raw files don't have any color space. That has to be assigned by the raw converter. For the working profile/color space Lightroom uses a version of prophoto for the develop module but Adobe rgb for the library. When it goes out to Photoshop or on export any color space can be imbedded. Nikon software allows you to set the working color space, prophoto is a good choice. It's only upon export that Nikon would assign srgb if you set it to. So make sure convert image to srgb is checked in the color management section. If you don't set srgb Nikon will export it as an Adobe RGB colorspace but wont imbed the profile which some browsers might misinterpret thinking a jpeg is going to be in srgb or might try to use whatever colorspace the device is set for.

Follow up discussion

Last edited:
No, it's usually due to heavy editing of an 8 bit image.
See this post:

Back