Nikon Recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've got a Z9 and would like a backup Nikon that would be good for wildlife photography, but a little more discrete for travel and street photography. Steve's review of the Z6 iii has me reconsidering my original thought of a Z8. But then maybe the Z7 ii would be a better choice.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
If it's truly a backup for problems with the Z9 when thinking about action photography the Z8 makes the most sense.

If it's more of a second camera for other uses then I'd probably go with a Z6 III or Zf or if you really want the resolution for less active subjects then a Z7 II. All of those could work nicely depending on your needs but if the camera is really to back up a Z9 while on trips or out in the field the Z8 will keep almost all of the Z9's functionality.

I've got a Z9 and would like a backup Nikon that would be good for wildlife photography, but a little more discrete for travel and street photography. Steve's review of the Z6 iii has me reconsidering my original thought of a Z8. But then maybe the Z7 ii would be a better choice.

Any suggestions?
I wouldn’t choose a Z7II unless financial constraints are your #1 consideration. A Z8 would be the best choice because it’s most similar to your Z9 (45 MP sensor resolution, most of the menu settings, and it uses the banks paradigm). A Z6III is lighter than a Z8, less expensive, has similar AF options, but has 24 MP sensor resolution, and user modes instead of banks to enable saved groups of settings.

Your choice will depend on what’s most important to you. If smaller size and weight are your top issue, the Z6III is likely the best choice. Otherwise, the Z8, I think.

Back