Nikon Refurb sale this weekend

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Yes I have noticed that too. I think they have the old 135 DC on there too. Almost like they are going through their closets and getting rid of things. LOL I have purchased several refurb lens and haven't had any issues with them. Great deal with just shorter warranty. Only thing that sucks is that you don't get the original box with them.

Unfortunately, this comes along as my family's Christmas and grocery bills are arriving. I 'd have to pass on these opportunities if I saw something of great interest to me!

The 24-120 doesn't go on refurb sale very often. At least from what I have seen if that helps you in any way. Not to say it won't in future. 10% off listed price is really good.

It is really fraud to describe these as "refurbished" when they are either returned to resellers or repaired. Nikon has no confidence when it provides a very short 90-day warranty period for these items. I would much rather buy a used camera or lens from someone on fredmiranda.

It is really fraud to describe these as "refurbished" when they are either returned to resellers or repaired. Nikon has no confidence when it provides a very short 90-day warranty period for these items. I would much rather buy a used camera or lens from someone on fredmiranda.
Not sure what refurbed means to you but that is the same for any electronics company that I have seen (not just camera gear). They are all either returns or equipment loaned out for review. In every case they go through the item to make sure its in good working order before selling it. If it doesn't work for you I get it but I'd personally rather purchase a refurb from Nikon than a used item from someone that I don't know. 90 day warranty is better than what I'm assuming Fred Miranda forum would give you and its long enough to confirm that it is in good working order. I don't think its confidence but cost that has them give out a 90 day warranty. Again still more than you get buying it used. I get it if its not for you but I don't think its fraud in any way.

I picked up a Z8 refurb this morning I couldn't resist. :) Had been wrestling with the decision to get a Z8 alongside my Z9 since last summer. This included being tempted by the DSLR trade-in plus $300 offer that ended in 2023. I should be able to uncover any problems with it within the first 3 months and have it repaired or replaced, if needed. After that, the $500 reduced price reduction beyond the recent $300 off sale price should cover almost any repair that I might encounter during a comparable new camera warranty period. But with the first three months to test it, it will hopefully be free sailing beyond that.

Last edited:
Agree a 90 day warranty is really skimpy. Canon offers a year.

Although I haven't had a high-end Nikon in my hands for 20 years, I'll chime in -- it's sad that what is probably the most prestigious camera manufacturer will only give a 90 day warranty on their refurbished gear when well known resellers of used gear give a six month warranty. It may not matter in the end, but it says something about Nikon's confidence in either their gear or their repairs.

My hypothesis is refurb sales serve two purposes for Nikon USA:
(1) Sell trade-ins (from us) as refurb after checking for proper function, doing any needed repairs, and replacing any missing/damaged accessories. Sure beats tossing them in a landfill.
(2) A "safe" channel for selling excess production without undercutting their own new product sales or pricing power. Put 2 dimples next to the serial numbers, pack 'em differently, shorten the warranty and offer consumers big savings. A classic play in consumer goods.

For both of these, the business logic of changing packaging and warranty vs new products seems obvious to me - Nikon wants to maintain the value proposition and pricing power for buying new vs refurbished. One could argue the refurb warranty should be another number, but I don't see why we should accuse Nikon of lack of confidence, fraud or other nefarious motives to explain what is more likely just a basic product segmentation strategy, taught in every business school and practiced by most every consumer firm. I don't work for Nikon, so this is just my thinking as an observer - others may differ in their views (and might be right).

We could probably all agree Nikon's earlier reduction of new product warranties from 5 years to 1 was an unfortunate move for us photographers. If they kept it at 5, they could have given us 1 year refurb warranties and still have their desired segmentation. I'd vote for that plan!

Last edited:
Congratulations, AR! May you enjoy it for many years in good health.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks, will do! BTW, I should have added that one very significant advantage for me in buying refurbished from Nikon USA is knowing that you're getting a USA version repairable by Nikon. While I've purchased used gear from KEH and MPB, it's a crap shoot whether you're getting USA or gray market gear.

Thanks, will do! BTW, I should have added that one very significant advantage for me in buying refurbished from Nikon USA is knowing that you're getting a USA version repairable by Nikon. While I've purchased used gear from KEH and MPB, it's a crap shoot whether you're getting USA or gray market gear.
Received my Z8 refurb today. It was immaculate with a shutter count of 5. Came in a typical plain white refurb box. Included a battery, battery wall charger, strap, USB cable, HDMI/USB cable clip, body cap, rubber eye piece, accessory shoe cover, 90-day warranty card and invoice. No manual or quick set up guide included, although User's Manual was listed among the new Z8's standard package contents when I checked on line.

Last edited:
A refurb actually has more quality testing than a lens or camera off the assembly line.

Back