Nikon Serial Number Research

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

armchicago

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi All,

Anyone know what serial numbers should be for USA model lenses, for Nikon (specifically large primes... 500, 600)? Or is there some kind of database where a number can be entered to retrieve info about it?

Thanks,

Adam

As far as I have ever been able to research, when it comes to older af-s primes it does not seem that the US purchased lens are very distinguishable from one purchased oversees. I would agree that most of these were made to order although a few were probably originally ordered by various camera stores and sold from them. The newer primes however I would guess would likely have a warranty card attached to a serial number where it would tell Nikon if it were purchased in the US originally. Just my educated (or uneducated-if I'm wrong!) guess!:p

I was looking at purchasing a used 600 mm G. I had the serial number contacted Nikon and was told that they could not confirm if the lens was a US lens by the serial number. Only way to tell was to send the lens in. They would opened up the lens and confirm using the internal S/N. Apparently they have had issues with people switching the S/N labels or counterfeit labels. Still purchased the lens from the dealer since I had purchased from him in the past and trusted him.

I had the serial number contacted Nikon and was told that they could not confirm if the lens was a US lens by the serial number. Only way to tell was to send the lens in.
This was my experience too - I found it very odd that Nikon couldn't (wouldn't) do this, but after reading your comments about counterfeit numbers, it makes sense.

I received an unofficial answer at first, that according to the S/N it was a US lens. Then the official answer that the only way to know for sure is to send the lens in and disassemble it. That this was do to people changing the S/N on the outside of the camera (counterfeit). No one that is selling a expensive lens is going to allow you to have anyone disassemble it. Not to mention the cost of doing it. For me l was lucky, I had dealt with the dealer off and on for years and found him to be very honest. He said that knew the history of the lens and the previous owner and that it was positively a US lens.

This is exactly what they told me about a D7100 I have.
I was looking at purchasing a used 600 mm G. I had the serial number contacted Nikon and was told that they could not confirm if the lens was a US lens by the serial number. Only way to tell was to send the lens in. They would opened up the lens and confirm using the internal S/N. Apparently they have had issues with people switching the S/N labels or counterfeit labels. Still purchased the lens from the dealer since I had purchased from him in the past and trusted him.

It all comes down to Nikon (and other manufacturers) standing by their dealers instead of those of us who buy the manufacturers' cameras and lenses. While I understand why they do it, it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Back