Nikon upgrade program

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Considering the current Nikon upgrade program to upgrade my Z6ii for a 2nd Z8. Anyone with experience with this program (good thru 6/30) and how it worked for them?
I’ve acquired lenses through the trade-in program. It’s quite smooth. In my case the trade-in lens was sent to Roberts Camera in Indianapolis. I assume they have a contract with Nikon USA to accept and process trade-in gear. Everything was completed in ten days. No problems at all.

I agree with the above comments--I traded my excellent-condition D850 for a Z8 and received the estimated amount within a few days of the trade-in's arrival. Also have used the program for Z lenses and received the full estimated values on the trade-ins.

It looks like it's a good program IF you don't want to deal with eBay, fees, private selling. The prices Nikon is giving seem ok. About on par with KEH, MPB (Example: mpb ex cond for a z 6 II was $920 vs $880 at Nikon).

Can definitely do better though if money is tight...

Wow...just for fun I thought I'd see what I could get a Zf down to, to use as a backup to my Z9 (since right now my backup is my D500). Believe it or not, I'd get more trade-in value for my D500 ($645) than for my 200-500mm f5.6 ($575), both in mint condition! That does against what I've always thought, that bodies depreciate faster than glass. I know, I know, the D500 new was ~$600 more than the 200-500mm new, but still...

I think it is a trade off on convenience versus maximum return on investment, I think you will do better selling privately on this site or Fred Miranda but there are definitely hassles involved and some older equipment may be difficult to sell.

I bought a Z9 and an 800mm pf lens through this site’s marketplace and was satisfied with the transaction both times. But we have some good people on this site and we can get to know then through their posts which eases the uncertainty.

That being said there is something valuable in doing a swap simply and easily.

Wow...just for fun I thought I'd see what I could get a Zf down to, to use as a backup to my Z9 (since right now my backup is my D500). Believe it or not, I'd get more trade-in value for my D500 ($645) than for my 200-500mm f5.6 ($575), both in mint condition! That does against what I've always thought, that bodies depreciate faster than glass. I know, I know, the D500 new was ~$600 more than the 200-500mm new, but still...
Quick check on KEH, the quote for a like new Nikon 200-500 with the original accessories is $580. That’s very close to the Nikon quote. You might get more from a private buyer but there is the hassle find a buyer, negotiation, shipping, buyer’s remorse, etc.

Quick check on KEH, the quote for a like new Nikon 200-500 with the original accessories is $580. That’s very close to the Nikon quote. You might get more from a private buyer but there is the hassle find a buyer, negotiation, shipping, buyer’s remorse, etc.
Oh absolutely, I was just curious what I'd get, and quite honestly, surprised by how much for the D500! I know I do need to sell the 200-500mm, since I have the 500mm PF and the Z180-600. Guess how much use the 200-500mm gets?

I traded my D4 in when I bought the Z8 and got a $300 bonus, $750 for a well used D4. The rebate went smooth, no issues at all. I want to do another trade-in for the 28-120 f4 but they are backordered with no ETA.
I've been trying to sell my D4 and lenses private party, hoping to get more than the trade-in or selling to KEH, but no takers so far. It's been over 6 months. I believe private parties want to pay what KEH would pay you for it, not what they sell it for.

I am now trying to decide whether to go for the Z6iii. I could trade in both my Z7ii and the 24-70mm f4 that I no longer use and it would actually cover most of the cost of the new Z6iii.

I am not sure how I feel about that. The Z7ii is a nice landscape/carry around camera and it is 47 mp, The autofocus does not compare to Z8/9 standards that would also be in the Z6iii. However for landscape/casual use the sophisticated FPS an autofocus does not matter.

Decisions, decisions.

I am now trying to decide whether to go for the Z6iii. I could trade in both my Z7ii and the 24-70mm f4 that I no longer use and it would actually cover most of the cost of the new Z6iii.

I am not sure how I feel about that. The Z7ii is a nice landscape/carry around camera and it is 47 mp, The autofocus does not compare to Z8/9 standards that would also be in the Z6iii. However for landscape/casual use the sophisticated FPS an autofocus does not matter.

Decisions, decisions.
I’m not sure if you can trade in more than 1 item.
I traded in my Z7ii for the Z8 and they gave me $1490 credit which was probably what I’d end up getting selling it on eBay after fees. Not to mention the hassles that could have occurred. Nikon Trade-in Program was a smooth deal.
Vinny (y)

I’m not sure if you can trade in more than 1 item.
I traded in my Z7ii for the Z8 and they gave me $1490 credit which was probably what I’d end up getting selling it on eBay after fees. Not to mention the hassles that could have occurred. Nikon Trade-in Program was a smooth deal.
Vinny (y)
If I did that I would probably trade in the Z7ii and sell the 24-70 f4 privately.

I am torn about giving up the Z7ii for a lower megapixel camera. The Z7ii is certainly light enough and works fine for what I would use it for.

Considering the current Nikon upgrade program to upgrade my Z6ii for a 2nd Z8. Anyone with experience with this program (good thru 6/30) and how it worked for them?
Just traded my Z6ii for a Z6iii. Received new camera 10 days after order. Very smooth so far. You must purchase the Z6iii and then they rebate the allowance for your trade in after they evaluate it. That takes about 10 days. Satisfied so far!

Just traded my Z6ii for a Z6iii. Received new camera 10 days after order. Very smooth so far. You must purchase the Z6iii and then they rebate the allowance for your trade in after they evaluate it. That takes about 10 days. Satisfied so far!
I am considering trading my Z6ii in on a Z6iii. I have a Z8 and not sure it would make sense.

I had a great experience trading my Zf on a Z6III. I did the trade-in around noon the day of the Z6III announcement and sent my Zf in that day. They attempted to ship my Z6III on the following Tuesday but my bank rejected the credit card as a suspicious charge. I called support and told them it would work if they ran it again and it shipped on Wednesday, I got it on Friday and I got the credit for the trade-in on Friday too. Also, I check the MPB price for the Zf and it was $25 below the Nikon trade-in value.

$450 for my D810 in excellent shape makes no sense at all. An extra $150 for the 24-120 which goes for $1100 new doesn't make it better. I would also have to pay the Tax ($271/Z8) which B&H will do for me.

No Sale!

Last edited:
Back