Nikon Z 1.4x rattling

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just bought a brand new Nikon Z 1.4x teleconverter and the first thing that I noticed was that it rattled. It seems to work fine, but I wanted to see if it was normal for it to rattle when it’s not hooked up. I have a canon 1.4x teleconverter that doesn’t make any sound.

Ok, thanks for confirming that it’s ok. Perhaps all Nikon TCs rattle, but I just checked my Canon RF TC and it definitely doesn’t (at least not perceived and I have pretty good hearing).
I initially had the same reaction when i received mine. Works as it should, perfectly normal for the nikon 1.4 tc

With F mount converters the stop down lever on the front of an AF-S converter that stops the lens aperture down was not spring loaded to enable higher FPS. Because of this the F mount converters could be rattled relatively loud.
Although Z stops the lens down electronically with a TC for some reason there is as much quieter rattle from inside.
Some Z mount zooms such as the 24–120 have a not significantly loud rattle when shaken when not attached to a camera body.

Back