Nikon Z 400mm 2.8 TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi
After 2 years of saving all my overtime cash I’ve managed to purchase a used 400mm TC. Can I ask those that have this lens or are used to carrying these hefty primes , which strap they use please.
Ta

Congrats on getting your dream lens. Certainly the lens I would buy if I was shooting Nikon.
I don't have 400TC but for my similar weight primes I have settled on a Peak Design Slide strap. I use a QD connector to connect to my 3rd party lens foot that has the QD socket.
To be safe I think it is a good idea to use a backup tether as I have had two instances of the QD connector accidentally letting go.

I also have Black Rapid straps that work well and the Black Rapid connector which you can screw into any lens foot including the stock foot.

I have a Kirk food with a QD fitting. I have RRS QD connectors on my Black Rapid straps.
I rarely strap the 400. I usually have it on a monopod and carry it on my shoulder. If I do strap it, it's more of a backup, and I still carry it by the foot while walking around.

fwiw, I've had zero issues with the RRS QD connectors. They've always been secure. I bought a set of connectors from Amazon but didn't feel good about hanging my gear from those. Just not well made and not nearly as secure s the RRS connectors.

I have a Kirk food with a QD fitting. I have RRS QD connectors on my Black Rapid straps.
I rarely strap the 400. I usually have it on a monopod and carry it on my shoulder. If I do strap it, it's more of a backup, and I still carry it by the foot while walking around.

fwiw, I've had zero issues with the RRS QD connectors. They've always been secure. I bought a set of connectors from Amazon but didn't feel good about hanging my gear from those. Just not well made and not nearly as secure s the RRS connectors.
That is probably my problem....I've been using Amazon QD connectors. Time to spend the money on a better quality one.

I use a BlackRapid Sport shoulder strap that has a QD connector that I use to carry my 600 TC. BR doesn't sell the QD connector option any more, but you can get the strap with a carabiner clip, and then add a QD connector to that.

I also have a PD Slide strap set up with a QD connector, but it's slightly less comfortable to use compared to the BR strap, so I generally shy away from it for long outings, but it works fine for shorter outings.

I use a RRS lens foot that has a QD connector slot and I also attach a safety tether for added safety.

I like using the QD connector for ease of transfer to a monopod, or tripod whenever I bring those along with me.

I use a BlackRapid Sport shoulder strap that has a QD connector that I use to carry my 600 TC. BR doesn't sell the QD connector option any more, but you can get the strap with a carabiner clip, and then add a QD connector to that.

I also have a PD Slide strap set up with a QD connector, but it's slightly less comfortable to use compared to the BR strap, so I generally shy away from it for long outings, but it works fine for shorter outings.

I use a RRS lens foot that has a QD connector slot and I also attach a safety tether for added safety.

I like using the QD connector for ease of transfer to a monopod, or tripod whenever I bring those along with me.
What are you using for a safety tether?

Thanks guys for the advice. The lens comes with a Wimberley AP-502 foot so I don’t think I can use the QD connector. The way I shoot it will be on a tripod most of the time, but I still need the option to carry it. Ta

I replaced the Nikon lens foot on my Z 400 mm TC with an RRS foot and (after talking to Nikon) used purple Loctite on the screws.

When I am going to be carrying the lens, I use a Black Rapid strap. I attach a Black Rapid connector to a RRS clamp (with a screw mechanism, not a quick release) and used blue Loctite on the connector’s screw When screwing it into the clamp.

Using an RRS clamp this way makes it easy to use the strap with the RRS foot on the Z 400 mm TC. I find it is quicker to attach and release the clamp than unscrewing the Black Rapid connector or the attachment ring on the strap. I can also use this strap with other Z lenses with feet (I have replaced the feet with RRS or Kirk feet or in some cases a plate). It also works with the RRS L plates I use on my Z9 and Z8, if the lens does not have a foot.

I have a Black Rapid tether, but have not used it. I should.

I have tried the Blackrapid strap and it is fine. However, I later got the Holdfast Moneymaker system and I find it is more comfortable.

The Holdfast Moneymaker can be used in a variety of ways to attach to the camera/lens. For hooking into the lens/camera it uses a type of fastener used for sailboat halyards. It is a strong and reliable, does not come loose on its own yet can be released by pulling the release loop.

For attaching to the lens/camera the Holdfast comes with a button loop that screws into a standard trtipod mount hole. Attach the button to the camera/lens and hook the clip to it when you are ready to connect the strap.

You can also easily subsitute a QD connector, I use RRS connectors and carry spares with me when I wish to switch.

The RRS also includes a safety tether that hooks to a ring you attach typically to your camera lug. You can add other options.

The Holdfast also can come with belt anchors. the anchor hooks into your belt and you clip the anchor to an attachment point on the camera hook. It helps to control the swing of the camera/ens making while hiking. You release the anchor when you are ready to shoot. The anchor helps stabilize the Holdfast if you are carrying one camera/lens on one side.

I picked up the lens today, not had time to try it yet but can't believe how light it feels. I need to sort out a strap, thanks to you guys I have plenty of options to look at. I also need a new bag at some stage , I miss the hard lens cap. I might have to look at Zemlin and just accept the cost of getting it too the UK.

Same......with ZERO issues.

Back