Nikon Z 600mm f/4 TC hand-holdable?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ExNavyDoc

Supporting Member
Been using the 400mm f/4.5 with the 1.4 TC for almost a year now on my Z8 for wildlife, mostly birds, and I find the combo is just not long enough. However, it is eminently hand-holdable. My style is to walk/hike around places, not sit in a blind or vehicle, and the 400+TC is very portable with a Magpul dual QD sling. Trying to sort out the 800mm PF vs. the 600 TC. My research seems to say that the 800 is very portable and able to be used hand-held. Wondering about the 600 TC in that regard. I'm not a big guy (5'7") but I do work out with weights a couple of times a week and carrying around a shotgun or rifle for a morning or afternoon hunting is not a problem. The cost is more-or-less secondary, but if the 600 requires a tripod and gimbal head it won't be up my alley at all. The bokeh of the 400 with a 2x TC is not to my liking on the online samples I've seen, FWIW.

Thanks for any responses, love the site and I've learned a lot lurking so far!

Last edited:
here's my input. I've owned every Nikon Z tele and tested them all pretty extensively. I'm 27 years old, 5'10" and about 205lbs, but not in very athletic shape.

something like the 400 4.5 or 600 PF are both extremely handholdable (~3lbs each). I can use these all day and feel like nothing ever happened.

the 180-600 and 800 PF are still handholdable (~5lbs each). after a couple hours you may fatigue, or if you're in an awkward position like shooting upwards. this is about as heavy as it remains "fun" for me to handhold.

The 400 TC (6.5lbs) is right about the edge of what I would want to handhold. It's doable, but not enjoyable. It becomes difficult to maintain slow shutter speeds when needed while handholding. It's hard for me to get consistent results below 1/50s, while I can easily do 1/6s with the 600PF. I much prefer to use a monopod or tripod when possible.

The 600 TC (7.2lbs) is another 11% heavier than the 400 TC. I *can* handhold it, but only for brief intervals. A couple of bursts here and there, and I instantly want to let my arms rest between bursts. also I will always feel it the next day.

These are all with a Z9 body. I'd imagine a Z8 body would help, as it reduces the weights by 1lb per setup or whatever

On the other hand, I know a couple of people twice my age or older who ONLY handhold their 400/600TC. But they are in much better shape than I am, they care more about getting the photo than I do, and they spent years using the 10lb prime lenses of past generations.

Last edited:
As another example, recently I was shooting Short Eared Owls from the roof of my vehicle. I had 2 lenses and 2 bodies.

Z9 + 400 TC
Z9 + 800 PF

I could pretty much shoot the 800PF handheld all evening without issue. With the 400TC, I was always trying to lower my arms whenever the action wasn't at its peak. YMMV

No one can really answer this question for you. Plus it depends on what you consider hand holdable. There's throwing a lens up to track a bird in flight for a few seconds and there's holding it up for minutes waiting for something to happen or for a bird to come out from behind an obstruction. As you know shooting a camera is a lot different than shooting a gun. You tend to have to hold the camera up for longer stretches of time. If you aim is to only use it handheld I'd certainly rent/borrow one and give it a try before plunking down the cash to buy one.

As far as the 800PF goes, I'm a weak old geezer and I've never put mine on a tripod. I do try to sit or kneel and support with an elbow on my knee when I need to stay on a subject for a long spell.

I shoot mine hand held all the time, while typically carrying it on a BlackRapid shoulder strap. I tried to describe in another thread just how long I could keep the lens up in the shooting position, before having to return it to my side. But as others have mentioned, everyone's strength and stamina is going to be different, so one person's hand held endurance is not going to match someone else's. Suffice it to say that I consider it usable as a hand held lens.

However, I definitely mix up my hand holding usage with also using the lens with a support. I use it a lot on my tripod with a PMG JKJr Katana gimbal head, and probably a little less often on my monopod with a PMG Tomahawk GT2 gimbal head.

I definitely enjoy the freedom of going hand held, and I get good results with this method, so I don't hesitate to take it out hand held on walks with the lens attached to my BR shoulder strap. However, if I know that I'm likely to be shooting for prolonged periods of time at one or more stationary locations, then I will often prefer to use it with my monopod, or tripod in those situations.

Sometimes, when I am heading to a location where I plan to be stationary for a while, I'll start out by walking with the lens attached to my shoulder strap, while also carrying either my monopod or tripod in my free hand. If any photo opportunities pop up along the way, I'll just carefully set my monopod/tripod down and take some shots hand held, before resuming my trek to my planned stopping point.

Last edited:
The weight of the 600mm f/4TC lens at 7.2 lbs is exactly the same weight as the Nikon 200-400mm f/4 lens that I owned. I could use that lens in some situations on a monopod but the one time I tried shooting with it hand held for several hours my body was very sore the next day. For a 600mm hand held the 600mm PF at 3.24 lb is definitely a lens one can hand hold and the 800mm PF at 5.2 lb (that I own) can be used hand held on the Z9 with its exceptional autofocus with subject and eye detection.

Even at 5.2 lbs I prefer using a monopod with the 800mm PF with the Z9 mounted where I have a combined load of 8.1 lbs to manage. One thing about the lighter lenses and the internal optical stabilization with the Z9 is that I can use a video head and legs and have no need for a gimbal head.

I use the 600 TC regularly. When I’m birding out of a car I often jump out and handhold the Z9 and 600TC. I find it manageable for short periods. When I’m walking it’s mounted on a monopod. I’m in my 80th year. Here's an example of a Harrier', handheld, about 50' away with a little post processing. Many, if not most, of the pictures on my recent outing in the Klamath Basin were handheld since it was mostly a driving trip https://mrtk.smugmug.com/Klamath-Basin-22524
Marty

DSC_8810-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC_8826-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_8827-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Everyone will have different size and weight they are comfortable with. So no one can really tell you whether a 600TC is handhold able for you.

For me, I handhold my Sony 600/4 95% of the time. I do short hikes with it and I walk around with it. So for me the 600TC would also be a handhold able lens (as it is approx the same weight and size as my 600GM).

Heck, I even handhold my 600 from my kayak....o_O

IMG_3924.jpg
51333897827_d6778daaa1_k.jpg

Everyone will have different size and weight they are comfortable with. So no one can really tell you whether a 600TC is handhold able for you.

For me, I handhold my Sony 600/4 95% of the time. I do short hikes with it and I walk around with it. So for me the 600TC would also be a handhold able lens (as it is approx the same weight and size as my 600GM).

Heck, I even handhold my 600 from my kayak....o_O
Not to derail... but love to see another Pungo owner and kayak photographer!

self proclaimed Pungo hoarder here, 1x 140, 4x 120

I do find that handholding in the kayak is significantly easier than handholding while standing though. Perhaps because I often rest the camera on some portion of kayak, so as to get as low to the water as possible. or just because I can prop myself up against the kayak for better stability

20230713_203208.jpg

20230719_222949.jpg

it is handholdable but it is not really comfortable doing so for extended times. Same as you, I like to hike/walk around with my camera - I use a monopod for my trips with the 600TC.

It's not just whether you can hold it up to your eye, it's how steadily you can hold it there. Some people's hands are steady as a rock, others' just have a little or a lot of shake/tremor. How steadily you can hold a camera or lens is an individual thing -- I can hand-hold an 800mm pretty darn well; my brother-in-law, who's two years younger, needs a monopod for a 50mm lens.

Not to derail... but love to see another Pungo owner and kayak photographer!

self proclaimed Pungo hoarder here, 1x 140, 4x 120

I do find that handholding in the kayak is significantly easier than handholding while standing though. Perhaps because I often rest the camera on some portion of kayak, so as to get as low to the water as possible. or just because I can prop myself up against the kayak for better stability

View attachment 83671
View attachment 83672
Looking good!! I love shooting from the Pungo with such a huge cockpit opening....I leave the drink holder at home!! Yeah, it is in a way easier to handhold in the kayak as you can tuck in and brace even with elbows on the side of the boat.

FullShark-Resize.jpeg
Spotter Eagle Ray repaired.jpeg
IMG_0052.jpeg
I use the 600 TC regularly. When I’m birding out of a car I often jump out and handhold the Z9 and 600TC. I find it manageable for short periods. When I’m walking it’s mounted on a monopod. I’m in my 80th year. Here's an example of a Harrier', handheld, about 50' away with a little post processing. Many, if not most, of the pictures on my recent outing in the Klamath Basin were handheld since it was mostly a driving trip https://mrtk.smugmug.com/Klamath-Basin-22524
Marty

View attachment 83638View attachment 83639View attachment 83640
Marty,
‘I just turned 80 and had to give up my scuba diving and underwater photography. I fold my underwater gear including my D850. I’m now searching for a new setup. There are do many good cameras, lenses, and opinions that I am totally confused. Underwater there was no weight issues.
‘can you start me on a good path with dome recommendations? The Z8 and R5 are in my price range.
Thanking you in advance

Marty,
‘I just turned 80 and had to give up my scuba diving and underwater photography. I fold my underwater gear including my D850. I’m now searching for a new setup. There are do many good cameras, lenses, and opinions that I am totally confused. Underwater there was no weight issues.
‘can you start me on a good path with dome recommendations? The Z8 and R5 are in my price range.
Thanking you in advance
Chuck,
Too bad you have to give up the underwater photography. Your pictures are great. What are you planning on shooting? My wife and I are birders. We have a truck camper and spend a few months a year out and about. I have a Z8 and Z9. I have a 14-24mm for astrophotography and landscapes, a 100-400 for a light walk-around lens which is also good on boats, and times when I know the subject will be big, close, or both, and a 600mm tc for most of the time. Send a PM. I would be glad to chat.
Marty

Back