Nikon Z 600mm f/4 TC with external TCs

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've seen the comparison go both ways in online commentary. My impression (from reading; not from direct experience as I do not own the 2x TC) is that the difference is small enough that it is within the margin of sample variation. Personally I would choose based on whether I wanted to be able to switch from 1.4x to 2x, or from 2x to 2.8x.

If you're interested in quantitative data, Photography Life has MTF measurements for the 600 f/4 and the 400 f/2.8 with all combinations of TCs, as well as various other lenses. However, I believe their measurements are only based on one sample of each lens.

Last edited:
I've seen the comparison go both ways in online commentary. My impression (from reading; not from direct experience as I do not own the 2x TC) is that the difference is small enough that it is within the margin of sample variation. Personally I would choose based on whether I wanted to be able to switch from 1.4x to 2x, or from 2x to 2.8x.

If you're interested in quantitative data, Photography Life has MTF measurements for the 600 f/4 and the 400 f/2.8 with all combinations of TCs, as well as various other lenses. However, I believe their measurements are only based on one sample of each lens.

this is the best answer.

unless you have 1.4x + 1.4x vs 2x images right next to eachother, you'll never able to tell the difference.

make your decision based on whether you need 840mm + 1176mm or 1200mm + 1680mm

Has anyone tried comparing the Z 600mm with stacked 1.4 TCs (one internal, the other external) vs the lens with just an external 2.0 TC (internal TC not engaged)?
Are you meaning you would like to know which has the best IQ, 2x 1.4x TC vs 2x TC? See Photography Life's test results which show there is virtually no difference. However, as other's have stated, there may be sample variations between individual TC's, the internal TC and the lens itself:

As for the TC's and their actual multiplication factor and to be pedantic, I think you will find that the 1.4x TC is actually a 1.414 TC as it is in reality the square root of 2 = 1.414 as it is all about the *area* not the diameter. So, 2 x 1.4x TC's = 2x TC as that is how they came to use a 1.4x (1.414x) TC. Back in the F mount days, there also used to be a 1.7x TC which was in fact the square root of 3x = 1.732x not actually 1.7x.

So, the available focal lengths will be closer to:
850mm (848.5mm) using an internal OR external 1.414x TC
1200mm using 1.414x TC internal + 1.414x TC external
1200mm 2x TC external
1700mm (1697mm) 1.414x TC internal + 2x TC external

Back