Nikon Z 8 and Smallrig Cage

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

R

raybug42

Problem with Smallrig Cage with the Z8, the ten-pin connector will not fit on the Z8 with Smallrig cage on camera. The ten-pin connector is keyed to fit only one way and therefore it will not go into the ten-pin socket because of the right side on the Smallrig Cage.

Problem with Smallrig Cage with the Z8, the ten-pin connector will not fit on the Z8 with Smallrig cage on camera. The ten-pin connector is keyed to fit only one way and therefore it will not go into the ten-pin socket because of the right side on the Smallrig Cage.
You scared me for a minute, as I have just received my SmallRig L-Bracket today. But I just tried it and my remote release fits in the 10-pin connection ok. Strange that your cage does not allow for it.

SmallRig is junk and I'm actually not so sure that everything branded SmallRig, especially on eBay is actually SmallRig. On the Z9, for a cage, Tilta is better. Waiting on a legit brand to make one.

You scared me for a minute, as I have just received my SmallRig L-Bracket today. But I just tried it and my remote release fits in the 10-pin connection ok. Strange that your cage does not allow for it.
It is just made wrong, I have contacted Smallrig and let them know of the problem.

I have just received my SmallRig L-Bracket today. But I just tried it and my remote release fits in the 10-pin connection ok. Strange that your cage does not allow for it.
My Nikon 10 pin remote release also fits my Z8 Smallrig L bracket without any issue.

The microphone connection cover needs finger dexterity but is not a big challenge.

I also have the SmallRig full cage for the Z8 and experience the same issue with the 10 pin connector on my Z8. I think the L-bracket is on the opposite side and does not hinder the port in any way. SmallRig should either provide owners of the full cage a modified 10 pin connection cable free of charge, or a redesigned cage that clears the port for standard 10 pin cable connectors.

Back