Nikon Z lenses between 14mm and 40mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This seems like a great group to ask advice so I'd like to collect thoughts on a Z mount lens to round out my current equipment.

Background: I'm purely a hobbyist photographer who mostly focuses on wildlife. I've been a Nikon DSLR user for 15 years but now have the new Nikon Z6 III. I have lenses of 150-600 and 100-400. My shorter lenses were DX kit zoom lenses, so I wanted to replace them for a full frame lens that is a Z mount. Other than wildlife, my active interest is history. My secondary type of travel where I like to have my Nikon with me is often in Europe where I mostly take images of exteriors and interiors of historic buildings.

Query: There are a number of Z mount lenses, both prime and zoom, starting somewhere in the 14 to 40mm focal range with an aperture of 2.8 or below. It's been tough to decide what single lens to get to fill my need for one shorter lens. I've never actually had a prime lens, but have no opposition to using them. This is the lens I will use the least, so I'm less inclined toward the more expensive options. I'm leaning toward wider aperture due to cramped shooting conditions and dim/night lighting conditions.

Some lenses I'm considering:
17-28mm f/2.8
20mm f/1.8 S
24mm f/1.8 S
26mm f/2.8
28mm f/2.8
35mm f/1.4 or 1.8
40mm f/2

Use cases:
Cityscapes, nighttime and daytime
Architecture, possibly from narrow streets
Interior features, with dim lighting
Outdoor nighttime scenes (maybe I'll finally see the aurora borealis)

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have the 40 f2 when I want the camera unobtrusive and light. I used to have a 35mm Sumicron on my Leica M2. I also have a 20 1.8 and am thinking about the 14-24 2.8 but the 20mm is enough most of the time.

From that list I would choose the 20mm f1.8s. It is really sharp and would be very useful for low light and architectural work.
The 14-24mm f2.8 is the sharpest among the long Z lenses but also more costly. The 20mm f1.8s is a very special lens and well respected for IQ.

Granted that you don't want to spend a lot, but I have the 14-24 2.8S and it is an incredibly useful range for what you want to shoot. If you can, save up and get it, you wont be sorry.

Back