Nikon Z mount 100-400mm f5.6-6.3 S lens--Fungus Issue and Removal

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

joe43

I just approved $792 for Nikon Service to remove fungus in my Z mount 100-400mm S lens. I bought the lens on December 31, 2021 but did not use it until my Z9 arrived on April 22, 2022. The lens has been lightly used in Texas and has never been exposed to rain or any harsh conditions. It was stored in my house with AC and humidity controls in Houston, TX. I noticed a pin head sized white spot on one of the front lens elements. My dealer told me to get it fixed ASAP to avoid it spreading.

If anyone has suggestions for a dry box or other place to store lenses, I would appreciate some suggestions.

This is my first experience with lens fungus with Nikon lenses in over 50+ years.

I just approved $792 for Nikon Service to remove fungus in my Z mount 100-400mm S lens. I bought the lens on December 31, 2021 but did not use it until my Z9 arrived on April 22, 2022. The lens has been lightly used in Texas and has never been exposed to rain or any harsh conditions. It was stored in my house with AC and humidity controls in Houston, TX. I noticed a pin head sized white spot on one of the front lens elements. My dealer told me to get it fixed ASAP to avoid it spreading.

If anyone has suggestions for a dry box or other place to store lenses, I would appreciate some suggestions.

This is my first experience with lens fungus with Nikon lenses in over 50+ years.
Nikon warranty leaves much to be desired. I just sent my, almost 4 yr old, Tamron 150-600 back for service. The VR was having issues. They replaced the VR motor and completely cleaned the lens, including internal dust. I only had to pay shipping to them. I hope at least they remedied the problem and it does not return. Maybe faulty sealing?

I use those packets that absorb moisture then change color when they have done their job, definitely the cheapest option. Throw them away and replace with new. Another option that some use is a climate controlled locker/cabinet probably the best method. Being full time in an RV space is limited and prohibits this method.

I’d also add that you are fortunate that Nikon is repairing/cleaning your lens. From what I’ve heard it the past is pretty much a total loss and could not find anyone that would fix it. Must be because of the very small amount/area of the fungus.

After a recent bad experience with fungus on lenses I purchased a dry cabinet from Amazon UK. The brand is Spolehli. It looks like the same cabinet sold in the USA under the Ruggard brand.

The cost of the cabinet was less than the value of the ruined lenses and I regret not buying one sooner.

It also provides a convenient place to organise and store my camera gear.

After a recent bad experience with fungus on lenses I purchased a dry cabinet from Amazon UK. The brand is Spolehli. It looks like the same cabinet sold in the USA under the Ruggard brand.

Hi @Anthony I am interested in your experience of the Spolehli dry cabinet. I wondered if you had used it with a Nikon 800 PF or similair sized lens and if it fits OK in the dry cabinet.

Hi @Anthony I am interested in your experience of the Spolehli dry cabinet. I wondered if you had used it with a Nikon 800 PF or similair sized lens and if it fits OK in the dry cabinet.
I have the 105L size cabinet. I don't have the 800 - my longest lens is the 600 6.3 S, which is about as long as the depth of the shelf on which it sits. On that basis the 800 would have to go in sideways, or possibly diagonally. There are different sizes of cabinet and I worked out my requirements by folding a towel to match the size and shape of the shelves, then placing my equipment on it. I do not know if there are other cabinets in the range with deeper shelves.

The cabinet is neat, has a glass door and is completely silent. I have not had it long enough to know how effective it is against fungus, but it has to be better than an ordinary cupboard or a camera bag.

Hope this helps.

To all, Thank you for the very good suggestions. I will look into the recommended cabinet. I just need to figure out where to put it--and get my wife to agree with its location.

I also found this product at B&H Photo. It may have a sspecialized use too: Ruggard Renewable Dehumidifier. Any thoughts?

I have this product and I use it in my camera bag after a shoot in cold or wet conditions. I put the camera (or lens) in a ziplock plastic bag along with the dehumidifier. The dehumidifier is not useful for longer term storage conditions because its dehumidifing capability lasts a couple of hours, at best. For those who live in an area which has high humidity, I recommend a dry cabinet.

To all, Thank you for the very good suggestions. I will look into the recommended cabinet. I just need to figure out where to put it--and get my wife to agree with its location.

I also found this product at B&H Photo. It may have a sspecialized use too: Ruggard Renewable Dehumidifier. Any thoughts?

You need enough space to be able to open the door almost 180 degrees to enable the shelves to slide out, otherwise you will have to reach into the interior to take out the items.

The cost of the cabinet was less than the value of the ruined lenses and I regret not buying one sooner.

It also provides a convenient place to organise and store my camera gear.
Exactly same here. My cabinet isn’t large but holds everything bar the z180-600.

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpeg
    IMG_1767.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 21

IMHO from what you describe I can't imagine that this is an issue with storage alone, without having another factor impacting the scene. Considering what these lense can bear normallly in terms of weather protection, I would expect that there is an issue with the sealing. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. Somebody I know went to Helgolangf island in the North of Germany wanting to photograph seals and sea birds and it didn't take long until the entire lens was foggy. This was under normal warranty, but it also was a pretty drastic scenario where the guy and his camera got thoroughly weather washed.

In your case, if you have been working in an environment where you could catch fungal spores and your weather sealing wasn't o.k, with a lens being an exgternal zoom you could pump them into the lens without realizing it. Then give the lens a few weeks in the right climate and there you are. It starts blooming inside.

Nevertheless, although the lenses are weather-sealed I would prefer a storage at home, where changes in the room climate are minimal. I have my gear in an Peli case ion partly closed state, so that the interior can breathe or in the backpack (also partly closed) in a part of my living room, which - beside the office - is the only room that is heated constantly during winter. Sleeping practice varies a lot, but bedrooms typically tend to have more and bigger temperature variation, more dust and sometimes more problems with condensation and fungus themselves. Here in our climate 75% percent of the fungus problems, that people get in their houses actually start in bedrooms ...

It might be different in other parts of the world but I never had anything like a drying cabinet for my gear and still never had an issue with fungus in roughly 25 years.

Anyone ever thought of installing a UV light fixture in your storage area to combat fungus? Would this even work?

Well, I am not a biologist, just and old engineer, but having worked in the food industry and dealing with hygenic issues in filling and packaging plants from time rto time, I can say that UV light is not able to kill everything. You can achieve decontamination of material surfaces with (e.g. plastic foils going in to blow molding of yoghurt cups), or reduce the bacteriological load of water (e.g. devices used with aquariums or household decontamination devices for critical water supplies), and such alike.
But especially fungal spurs are - if you like - "designed" for durability and thus not so easy to get rid of. In many cases the only thing you can do is to avoid their presence, e.g. by filtering the air going into a room or you just have to live with their presence and all you can do is to avoid providing the conditions for them to "become alive". That's where the rules come from for people dealing with fungus risk in old houses.

As we are carrying our gear right in the heart of mother nature the latter is most likely the only option, but the good news is, that it works.

My camera gear has spent a lot of time in a folwer shop with dust, humidity, fungus ... you name it. I sometimes spent hours in this environment taking photos, using external zooms pumping air in and out, changing lenses, ... I also did documentary photos in a building that had to be renovated because of a fungus problem in the wooden construction and I had to wear a mask myself, ... and nothing happened to my gear.
Not a single lens or camera with fungus. All I did was keeping the gear dry from tthe outside and store it in an open case or backpack in a room being reasonably warm, with a normal humidity that also is considered to suit our health and not too much sudden variation in the climate. In extreme cases I also clean the gear from the outside with normal compressed air, which works much better than trying to wipe the surface (Just the pressure should be reduced compared to normal workshop scenarios)

That said, admittedly I have no experience with tropical climate so far - at least not in conjunction with using digital camera gear.

Nikon warranty leaves much to be desired. I just sent my, almost 4 yr old, Tamron 150-600 back for service. The VR was having issues. They replaced the VR motor and completely cleaned the lens, including internal dust. I only had to pay shipping to them. I hope at least they remedied the problem and it does not return. Maybe faulty sealing?

I think Tamron does this because they know they had a problem with the VR in this lens. I had one that was even older and when I talked to them and sent it back they replaced the motor at no charge. Then I sold it to someone as a deal, telling him the lens history.

Back