Nikon Z1.4tc - is anyone else having image quality issues?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recently splashed out and got myself a Z8. At the same time I got a 100-400mm Z lens. Because most of my work is bird photography I also invested ( I say invested 'cos it's damn expensive) in the Z1.4tc.

I'm not a novice. I've been shooting birds and BIF for many years with a D500 and either a 500pf or a 200-500mm zoom. My results are pretty decent.

Since acquiring the Z8 I have used it almost exclusively with the 100-400mm + the 1.4tc as I am trying to learn what I can expect with this camera. The results have been very mixed. For closer shots, like things not moving, or the family dog, the results have been OK, but whenever I have tried to photograph BIF it has been a complete failure.
Even for some birds not in flight, with the camera mounted on a tripod, and the viewfinder telling me the subject is in focus (little green square) the result is not in focus.

Reviews I have read tell me that this tc should not adversely affect quality.

So do I have a dud tc, or as my Z8 is in the range for a recall due to lens mount issues (I'm currently waiting in a queue for Nikon to call it in), is it possible that even though I can mount and dismount lenses without a problem there is a small alignment issue which is causing these focus problems?

I doubt the 1.4 tele is causing any problems. It is more likely that you are experiencing what many of us learned......the focusing modes on the mirrorless cameras are more complex than our beloved DSLRs. It takes time to learn which mode is best in each situation.

If you don't have Steve Perry's eBooks on the Nikon Autofocus System - Mirrorless and the Set up Guide for the Nikon Z9/Z9 - I strongly suggest you study them. With that information, I believe you will quickly find the settings that get you the images you want.

Both eBooks can be purchased HERE............ They are inexpensive considering the huge amount of information contained in them.

I recently splashed out and got myself a Z8. At the same time I got a 100-400mm Z lens. Because most of my work is bird photography I also invested ( I say invested 'cos it's damn expensive) in the Z1.4tc.

I'm not a novice. I've been shooting birds and BIF for many years with a D500 and either a 500pf or a 200-500mm zoom. My results are pretty decent.

Since acquiring the Z8 I have used it almost exclusively with the 100-400mm + the 1.4tc as I am trying to learn what I can expect with this camera. The results have been very mixed. For closer shots, like things not moving, or the family dog, the results have been OK, but whenever I have tried to photograph BIF it has been a complete failure.
Even for some birds not in flight, with the camera mounted on a tripod, and the viewfinder telling me the subject is in focus (little green square) the result is not in focus.

So do I have a dud tc, or as my Z8 is in the range for a recall due to lens mount issues (I'm currently waiting in a queue for Nikon to call it in), is it possible that even though I can mount and dismount lenses without a problem there is a small alignment issue which is causing these focus problems?
It would help if you posted examples with settings, but I'm going to guess (as was said) you're struggling with adjusting to how nikon AF works, and you might be in the wrong AF mode entirely.

Raws would help, so people with NX studio can check the actual focus point.

Last edited:
I doubt the 1.4 tele is causing any problems. It is more likely that you are experiencing what many of us learned......the focusing modes on the mirrorless cameras are more complex than our beloved DSLRs. It takes time to learn which mode is best in each situation.

If you don't have Steve Perry's eBooks on the Nikon Autofocus System - Mirrorless and the Set up Guide for the Nikon Z9/Z9 - I strongly suggest you study them. With that information, I believe you will quickly find the settings that get you the images you want.

Both eBooks can be purchased HERE............ They are inexpensive considering the huge amount of information contained in them.

Thanks Butlerkid. I do have Steve's books and i followed them extensively when setting up my Z8. Surely if the focus mode has subject detection selected and the little square is green and on the eye of the bird it should be in focus.
I do find the shutter release much more sensitive than on my D500, but with continuous AF it should be maintaining focus all the time

I agree with the sentiments above about posting some shots. How do images look with just the 100-400?
Without any photo's everyone is flying blind...some shots with and without the TC would be helpful.

I agree with the sentiments above about posting some shots. How do images look with just the 100-400?
Without any photo's everyone is flying blind...some shots with and without the TC would be helpful.
My thoughts as well. If you’ve been exclusively using the TC then try a series without the TC - does it still exhibit same behavior? Any chance you can try a different lens - someone nearby or even a store nearby? Since you already have experience with long lenses and DSLR and you’ve gone through Steve’s ebooks it’s likely not technique but the more details you provide the better we can troubleshoot. You mentioned shooting on tripod mostly, have you tried turning off VR? It’s always possible a faulty unit slips through QC, but I’m pretty sure most of the experts here can help troubleshoot before needing to submit for service.

I just received the z400-400 and the 1.4 times converter - rented for a trip next week. so today, through my dining room window ... I'm definitely not concerned about sharpness with the converter. I own the 2 times converter - its on the z70-200 ... and I've been pretty pleased with the IQ from that too TBH.

_PCM0177.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_PCM0182.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I would spend some time shooting without the tc. Not just a day but several days. If all those images are satisfactory then put the tc back on and see whether the issue still presents itself.

Don't rely on others to tell you how your equipment is / should function. Set up a static scene including good a focus target at, say, 50 to 60 ft, mount your setup on a tripod and use the timer or remote release to run some tests. Move the focus ring to close in focus, then let the camera AF on your target. Shoot from wide open to f/11 at 100, 200, 300, and 400mm with and without the tc. You will get the answers you are looking for.

I've done tests like this several times with new cameras and glass including the Z9 with Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3. Most of the time any IQ problems were due to operator error, not my gear.

Last edited:
Don't rely on others to tell you how your equipment is / should function. Set up a static scene including good a focus target at, say, 50 to 60 ft, mount your setup on a tripod and use the timer or remote release to run some tests. Move the focus ring to close in focus, then let the camera AF on your target. Shoot from wide open to f/11 at 100, 200, 300, and 400mm with and without the tc. You will get the answers you are looking for.

I've done tests like this several times with new cameras and glass including the Z9 with Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3. Most of the time any IQ problems were due to operator error, not my gear.
This is a really good point. For any gear issue, start with simply making consistent, sharp images for a known, repeatable situation. You can't reliably test in the field without first establishing you cam make sharp images under much more controlled conditions. Getting to know your gear involves understanding how aperture, length, subject distance, and light level can affect your images. Even shooting on a tripod may not be a 100% solution - your tripod, tripod head/gimbal, and long lens technique may only show problems at longer distances.

It also takes practice to learn to make sharp images. It's easy to get sloppy. It's also possible to struggle when you have not warmed up or have not had enough practice. I warm up before I make any images using a long lens. When I lead groups, we start with a warm up - or even a day of arrival field session.
It actually may be a bit of a handicap to have lots of experience with a DSLR. The technique for a Z9/Z8 is quite different. It's a high resolution camera with a lot of focus options and a great ability to customize settings. Steve's settings may be a starting point, but the assumption is they are an 80-90% solution and you use a similar technique and have similar subject matter. With different conditions or subject matter, he'll quickly change settings to Plan B or C and still get the shot. There is a difference in settings for elk compared to shorebirds in flight.

It pains me to admit it, but I fear that it is me that is the problem. :eek::cry:
Although I have long been able to hold my D500 + 500pf lens rock steady, I find it much tougher to keep my Z8 + 100-400mm as steady.

I'm narrowing down the causes but I have undoubtedly been distracted by too many subject detection 'squares' flickering in my viewfinder and too many programmed buttons.

I have temporarily abandoned all fancy subject detection options and reverted to the same focussing mode I use on my DSLR - it has brought an instant improvement.

For some reason I thought a better camera would make life easier not harder. 😖

If you're seeing too many squares, you're probably in 3d tracking, which isn't ideal (in my experience) for initial lock on unless you have a good clear subject.

I use wide l (or a custom wide area) most of the time, followed by auto area, which I hand off to 3d tracking if needed

Back