Nikon z6 iii worst than the Z6 and Z6ii in high iso

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I already have the Z9 and looking for a smaller and back-up camera when I am traveling… I had the Z6 that I loved… while I am looking for the Z6 iii, my dealer suggests me to go with the Z6ii because the improvements on the iii not really worth the price tag and it is weaker in high ISO… he suggests to me to wait at the November 1st price drop of the Z8 instead of the iii or go to the Z6 ii…. No doubt that the Z8 is better… but I just not need it! Does someone had the Z6ii and really compared the ISO rendering with the iii… I almost reed everything on both cameras, but my dealer always gave me good cues until now…. 🤷🏼

noooo. get the z6iii.

while technically the z6iii handles high iso "worse" than the z6ii, you're not going to be able to SEE it, and it's going to be a fair amount better than the z9.

while some folks may not need the af performance in the z6iii, if it otherwise fits your needs and budget, iso performance is NOT a reason to pick the z6ii.

also, there is a the issue that the af systems work a bit different in the ii vs the iii and z9, and there's no reason to complicate your life by having two different systems. it's annoying, esp. when used back to back.

The Z6iii makes a great complement to the Z9. I had the Z6, Z6ii, and now the Z6iii and loved them all. I shoot a lot of indoor sports at ISO 6400 and up and I can't see any issue with the ISO performance of the Z6iii. I struggled shooting the Z6ii along side the Z9 because the focus performance is so much different. I now shoot with both the Z9 and Z6iii and have the focus configuration and most of the buttons setup very similar between the two cameras and I don't struggle at all moving from the Z9 to the Z6iii. I prefer shooting with the Z6iii when the ISO needs climb above 6400. If you have the Z9, you get used to the focus performance and trying to shoot the Z6ii just seems like a struggle.

I don't know if you shoot video, but the Z6iii video performance is much better as well. I purchased the Z6iii before an Alaska cruise and it performed well in still and video shooting.

If you are just considering a travel camera you might be satisfied with the Z6ii but if you are wanting a backup camera for your Z9 you need the Z6iii.

I already have the Z9 and looking for a smaller and back-up camera when I am traveling… I had the Z6 that I loved… while I am looking for the Z6 iii, my dealer suggests me to go with the Z6ii because the improvements on the iii not really worth the price tag and it is weaker in high ISO… he suggests to me to wait at the November 1st price drop of the Z8 instead of the iii or go to the Z6 ii…. No doubt that the Z8 is better… but I just not need it! Does someone had the Z6ii and really compared the ISO rendering with the iii… I almost reed everything on both cameras, but my dealer always gave me good cues until now…. 🤷🏼

Your dealer is trying to offload old stock...

it is weaker in high ISO
My understanding is that the Z6iii is almost identical to the original and Z6ii models at high ISO's and that it only loses dynamic range from base ISO until ISO 800, where the gain changes. Bill Claff's tests seem to support this, and most folks find his testing to be done well:

--Ken

Poor advice
The dealer is poorly informed, if not trying to clear out the obsolescent model of the Z6 line.
Little to add to what's been advised in previous posts. The Z6 III is a significant update especially the Autofocus and features for action genres.
The difference in read noise at higher ISO of the Z6 III and Z6 II are minor

Poor advice
The dealer is poorly informed, if not trying to clear out the obsolescent model of the Z6 line.
Little to add to what's been advised in previous posts. The Z6 III is a significant update especially the Autofocus and features for action genres.
The difference in read noise at higher ISO of the Z6 III and Z6 II are minor

If you look at photons to photo… the Z6 ii has the best iso to noise curve, and the best dynamic range…he may not wrong at all…on theory… but, do we see it? That was more the question…

I own the Z6iii, I still have the Z6ii for other uses, since it came out and I use it a lot at high iso.
Photons to Photons charts but also others, do not always find confirmation in real use I challenge anyone to recognize the raw of a Z6iii and a Z6ii at any ISO.
The advantage you have in Af, if we need a camera for action or sports for example, is already worth the price difference between the two Z6s

I own the Z6iii, I still have the Z6ii for other uses, since it came out and I use it a lot at high iso.
Photons to Photons charts but also others, do not always find confirmation in real use I challenge anyone to recognize the raw of a Z6iii and a Z6ii at any ISO.
The advantage you have in Af, if we need a camera for action or sports for example, is already worth the price difference between the two Z6s
I am incline to fully agree with this... and having a setup close to the Z9 is also interesting! Thanks!

Your dealer, with whom I flat out disagree (as I own two of the Z 6III bodies and used to own both the first generation Z6 and successor Z 6II), is trying to off-load older stock on you. suggest you seek another dealer. I suggest you read a fellow Canadian’s post from his blog - http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html - and scroll down to the July 16, 2024 post (the last paragraph will take you to his notes about the Z 6Iii). He has been traveling and running tours most of the summer and has not had a chance to update this yet as he hoped. I suspect he will update his findings on the Z 6III soon.

That all said, if what you really only want is a camera with four-year old technology then the Z 6II would suffice. Depends on what kind of subjects you shoot. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well stated Dionigi !! Seems like the issue of dynamic range gets everyone‘s debating juices fired up. Thom Hogan writes in his Z 6III eBook that the max dynamic range of the Z 6III is 10.5 at base 100 ISO whereas the DR of the Z6 and Z6II is just one half stop higher - 11.0 - than the Z 6 III. At ISO 800 (the dual gain point of the Z 6 III) the Z 6 III DR is 9.0 and the Z6 and Z6 II DR is only a third of a stop higher at 9.3. Noteworthy, at ISO 800 Hogan states the DR of the Z9/Z8 is also just 9.0 - same as the Z 6 III. (Obviously the Z9/Z8‘s AF is in a league of its own). My point is that FOR ME the vastly better Z 6III auto focus and some additional subject detection features is much more significant and of value to me than any small short coming in Z 6III dynamic range. Of course, horses for courses … YMMV.

Back