Nikon Z6III - AF speed with FTZ adapter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all!

I am considering to switch to Z6III (I own a D500 at the moment), but I am not sure about the AF response if used with the FTZ adapter. I have seen a video by Steve Perry showing that the Z8/Z9 AF performs nicely with the FTZ adapter, while the Z6 was suffering a little bit. Now, I am not sure if the high-speed sensor read-out in the Z6III may improve the things also with the FTZ adapter.

I am asking, because it would be interesting to keep the old F-mount lenses I have... but since I usually shoot sports (amateur level!) I would be sure about the AF performances with the FTZ adapter.

Did anyone try it?

Thanks for reading..

Ciao!

Marco

I do not recall seeing any articles or videos by Steve or anyone else saying that there was any loss of AF speed from the FTZ adapter. Nor do I recall anyone members posting any loss of AF speed in the forum, but I could be mistaken. Generally, as long as the lens is compatible, it has been the lens AF motor that has determined the AF speed. And F-mount lenses should focus as, if not more, accurately on a Z body as there is almost no need for any AF Fine Tuning. What lenses are you using?

--Ken

Ken, while that is the case on the Z9/Z8, it wasn’t the case on the Z6II so the desire for confirmation is understandable
Well, I managed to find Steve's video on this subject and watched it. And, I admit that I got a bit tripped up my the OP's mention of the FTZ adapter, so apologies for any confusion from my earlier post.

I can understand that the Z6/Z6ii do not have the same EXPEED processor as the Z9 and Z8, and could be focusing slower than the latter bodies, but I do not attribute that specifically to the adapter. While lens performance is heavily dependent on the lens model (my slow 200-500 immediately comes to mind), I will grant that the body also plays a big part, and that is most likely tied to the processor and EVF refresh rates among other things. As such, I would suspect that the new Z6iii should do as well as, if not possibly better, than the Z8/Z9 since it shares the same processor and it has an improved/faster EVF.

The only other factor I can think of that might have influenced Steve's tests to one degree or another is if he used the larger battery in the D850. Its possible that more voltage could also have an impact, but more tests would be needed. Still, in the end, none of us will know unless someone tests the new Z6iii against any of the older bodies.

--Ken

I do not recall seeing any articles or videos by Steve or anyone else saying that there was any loss of AF speed from the FTZ adapter. Nor do I recall anyone members posting any loss of AF speed in the forum, but I could be mistaken. Generally, as long as the lens is compatible, it has been the lens AF motor that has determined the AF speed. And F-mount lenses should focus as, if not more, accurately on a Z body as there is almost no need for any AF Fine Tuning. What lenses are you using?

--Ken
Hi!

this is the video:

In my understanding, with the z6iii fastrr sensor readout there should be no issue in AF speed when using the adapter.

But it would be nice to have a confirmation.

Thanks!

yep, i expect it will be fast, but we haven’t gotten conformation
I agree.

I did not experience any drop off in AF speed between a D850 and original Z7 with FTZ when I still had both cameras.

There seems no AF speed issue with the few F mount lenses I still own on my Z8 or Z9.

I would not expect any issue with the Z6III, but as I do not own it, I cannot give a firm confirmation.

I have not had time for an in-depth analysis, but speed wise I could not discern any difference between my Z8 and Z63 with a 70-200 FL. The only thing I did notice is the lens on the Z6 had some stuttering at times focusing on poorly lit target at 10m whereas the Z8 never exhibited this behavior.

Thanks for reporting this. It seems in line with expectations. Thanks!

@zufus I've used my F mount lenses on my Z6ii with no issues, not for wildlife though. I have used F mount lenses on my Fuji CT-4 for sport with the Fringer adaptor and got good results, so I'd imagine that a Z6ii should be fine. Just added a Fuji XH-2s to my kit so will be trying the F mount lenses on it when I get the time.

Back