Nikon Z6iii EVF - is it better?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Is the new EVF in the Z6iii noticeably better?

For whatever reason, I have never been able to get comfortable using the EVF in Nikon cameras. Perhaps I should persist longer than a few days access to just loan cameras. It is a reason I have deferred updating and continue to use my Nikon DSLR cameras. I assume this new EVF will make it into future Nikon Z9/Z8 camera body releases in the coming years.

I am interested in if anyone has used the Z6iii and their opinion they formed with regard to the upgraded EVF display. I acknowledge the new EVF on paper is technically superior, and the use is a subjective topic for every user. However, any 'real world' observations, comments or comparisons would be welcomed. Thanks...

I've been using it for nearly two months on a nearly daily basis - it's better. Is it like a black and white difference, no. Can you notice it? Yes. Overall, it's the best EVF experience I've had with any camera. It really makes you forget you're looking at a tiny monitor.
Thank you Steve, I will see if I can obtain one to trial.

Is the new EVF in the Z6iii noticeably better?

For whatever reason, I have never been able to get comfortable using the EVF in Nikon cameras. Perhaps I should persist longer than a few days access to just loan cameras. It is a reason I have deferred updating and continue to use my Nikon DSLR cameras. I assume this new EVF will make it into future Nikon Z9/Z8 camera body releases in the coming years.

I am interested in if anyone has used the Z6iii and their opinion they formed with regard to the upgraded EVF display. I acknowledge the new EVF on paper is technically superior, and the use is a subjective topic for every user. However, any 'real world' observations, comments or comparisons would be welcomed. Thanks...
Just curious, have you used the Z8/Z8 viewfinders?

I like the z6iii's EVF and it is better than Z8/Z9, but if you're expecting a 100% OVF replacement you're not going to be happy with it. If you're OK with it being "good enough" you might be OK, but there is nothing like looking through an OVF. I was hung up on it for a while, but finally gave in since the benefits of an EVF were just too numerous to stick with an OVF for my usage. I finally told myself it's just a tool to get the job done and I finally grew accustomed to it after a while.

Steve: Do you have your EVF set to SDR or HLG - even though you can still shoot NEF even if the EVF is HLG? I noticed that with HLG set the resulting NEFs are noticeably darker when looking at the NEFs in Capture One. Maybe has to do with the BT.709 color space?? I don’t know.

Until I can sort all this out I’ll stick with SDR which is more ‘understandable’ with Live View on. I own two Z 6III. Love the camera.
I don't really use HLG - the ISO 800 minimum is enough just by itself not to want to use it for me.

I don't really use HLG - the ISO 800 minimum is enough just by itself not to want to use it for me.
Horshack reports that HLG ISO numbers are a notional ISO which he explains for the Z8 as -
  • HLG ISO 400 is really sensor ISO 100, the same technique and purpose behind N-Log using ISO 800, which I describe here. In short, the purpose for using a notional ISO of 400 is allow room for the highlights, which induces the shooter to expose the midtones for an equivalent output brightness of ISO 400, which causes the midtones/shadows to be -2EV underexposed in the raw data. In other words, HLG ISO 400 raw data is equivalent to SDR ISO 100 shot -2EV underexposed.

I have yet to try HLG, but I do intend to at some point.

Yes I have. Albeit not for extended periods and found their (both Z9 and Z8) views disconcerting. To me looking through the viewfinder appeared too artificial.
Interesting. I had used some EVFs in the past that I found terrible. Perhaps because of low expectations, I found the Z8 and Z9 EVFs to be very DSLR-like. I did change the color balance to add a hint of warmness that compared pretty well with my D850. While I miss the “ always on” feature of an OVF, I’ve really come to appreciate the brighter EVF view in lower light or with smaller lens (and TC) apertures, as well as the EVF’s ability to reflect the camera’s exposure settings. Having said that, it appears that Nikon will be able to continue to improve on them in future body upgrades based on the Z6iii example.

And no offence either but I can only wonder if Horshack/Snapsy if actually taking photos. I honestly do not care on technical reports on sensors, readout speeds, ... and enjoy my end results. I am a tech buff myself but photography is what it is, capturing moments we value. if you can't do it with new bodies from brand A, B or C then look hard and deep to your skill level.

I have to disagree with Steve on this one. I have rented Z6III for my trip to England (RIAT 2024).
  • Compared to Z9 I see no difference in EVF picture quality
  • For Airplanes (fixed position, no chance to get closer than crowd line) 24 Mpx of Z6III is too little
  • I was constantly missing some functions/buttons available on Z9 (most notably the grouping by burst)
That said it is indeed a fine camera and my eye at 65 are not what they used to be :).

I too was initially put off by electronic viewfinders and stuck with my two Nikon D850s until less than a year ago. I have tried a Canon R5 briefly on two different occasions and that viewfinder was awful - I mean to the point of being unuseable for me. I owned a Sony A7IV for just over a year and it's viewfinder was decent: very good in low or soft light but not so good in bright sunlight. I rented a Nikon Z7ii and later bought a Nikon Z8 and to me the Nikon electronic viewfinders are better than the others I tried. Much crisper and easier to use, especially in bright daylight. Everything I have read (which Steve confirms above) is that the Z6iii is even better than these.

Back