Nikon Z8 adapted Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF Lens mounted on Tripod and Vibration Reduction query.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Paul T

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi all Just a quick query.

Do any of you use VR when you are using the Z8 with the adapted Nikon 500mm PF mounted on a tripod and if yes:
1. what VR mode do you generally use Normal or Sport and
2. how have you found the results, and (addendum I meant to ask no 3 as well :) )
3. do you shut down VR when shooting at higher shutter speeds eg. 500-1000?

cheers & thanks in advance for all help.

Last edited:
On a tripod I turn VR off always (assuming I remember....). I've not tested it with the 500PF specifically but with other lenses it made a difference (from memory I tested the 200-500 but I am not sure).

I set VR to sport mode, on or off tripod. The 500mm PF lens manual states that VR can be used with tripod. It also states that under certain conditions better results can be obtained with VR off. In almost two years of using the 500mm PF lens I have yet to experience those conditions myself.

If you turn VR off on the lens it also turns the camera's IBIS vibration reduction off at the same time. It's both on or off.

I don't turn VR off at high shutter speeds.

I set VR to sport mode, on or off tripod. The 500mm PF lens manual states that VR can be used with tripod. It also states that under certain conditions better results can be obtained with VR off. In almost two years of using the 500mm PF lens I have yet to experience those conditions myself.

If you turn VR off on the lens it also turns the camera's IBIS vibration reduction off at the same time. It's both on or off.

I don't turn VR off at high shutter speeds.

Yup, I can't recall the details, but there are different generations of VR and on my old 500 f4G VR I normally had to turn VR off if working from a tripod, while with the E series lenses that has changed, and thus also for the 500PF. What I am not sure about is whether or not this improvement from G to E was limited to pro grade lenses like you get a reduced number of control elements on the consumer lenses compared to the S line lenses in Z world.

Apart from that, if I use VR then in sport mode.

Most of the more recent in lens VR lens manuals including the 500 PF advise using VR on a tripod, with a caveat that occasionally VR off produce a sharper result.

Sport mode avoids the issue of the possibility of the image being slightly reframed when using normal VR mode.
On reframing, Nikon VR uniquely centres the VR group in the lens optical centre so that maximum via group movement is available in all directions when using normal mode.
Sport mode avoids most re-entering issues.

Although Sport mode produces less than the maximum amount of VR benefit available, my experience is that in recent lenses it works more effectively than normal mode in previous generation VR lenses.

Whilst ideally you should do your own testing as handholding and tripod stability vary, most seem happy that Sport mode in recent VR lenses is a good combination to use.

Back