Nikon Z8 and Z100-400 on safari, not a perfect combination but it got the job done!.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My first time on safari in Botswana. I was there recently in the dry season with high daytime temperatures up to 38 degrees. This was a general non specialized trip not a guided photography tour.
I was in an open Toyota land cruiser with 5 others, several non photographers. The game drive conditions were very bumpy, often in 4 wheel drive off road in the dusty brush.. Holding onto 5 pounds of camera and lens along with binoculars was at times challenging with the very bumpy ride. At times water would enter the truck on the floor during stream crossings., so any camera bag on the floor had to be quickly lifted up.

As for the photography, the light changed from dawn to dusk with harsh overhead sun at midday. I had to contend with the harsh overhead sunlight reflected by white sand and dry grass. Many animals moved under the brush into the shade during the heat of the day. I had never used my Z8 in such testing circumstances before and working out the exposure became an interesting experience. Even while stationary there was often movement in the vehicle by non photographers when I was trying to get the shot. I often shot stationary animals at higher speed because of this.

My Z8 overheated several times during the day with "Hot Card"warnings and to top it off the door covering the memory cards opened several times a day. Dust was a constant enemy. The camera and lens received several knocks during off road travel. Avoiding sharp acacia thorns and branches entering the truck while off road was important too.

On a non photography general safari you do not choose the position you shoot from and leaves and branches or people's hats obstructing the view of an animal or bird was the norm. Non photographers were impatient to move on and often there was little time to get the image. Often the Z8 autofocus struggled to lock on bird and animal eyes. Many of the antelope and animals have black banding over the eyes. I used single point and manual assisted focus many times with good success to lock focus. I am sure that heat haze did not help with getting sharp images.

For me this was a hard trip, but inspite of all the difficulties posed by being on safari, the Z8 and 100-400 came through with some spectacular images, that exceeded my expectations. Traveling light proved to be the right way to go for this trip. I would like to hear from others who have also been on general safaris and the challenges they faced and overcame.

Next time would I choose a photography specific safari?.

Great write up. I'd love to see some pics if you'd be willing to post them!

I have not been to Africa yet, but every single person I've talked to who has - said the same thing. Make sure that you book on dedicated photography tours. If you don't - you can guarantee you'll run into the things you describe. Impatient tourists with their iphones who just want one picture for proof of life so they can move on.

I inadvertently ran into a similar thing when I booked a bird tour in Hawaii. The guide's goal was to get us to see as many species as possible for an ebird checklist, and didn't have any interest in taking time to try and get good photos. I don't fault him for it, as it was his business and I didn't do enough research beforehand. But when I go back, I will make sure to book a tour specifically catered to trying to capture good images.

Yes I knew what I was getting into in going on a general safari with friends. But the trip was very demanding on my camera, lens and skill or lack of.
It is a hard environment for your gear. My favourite picture so far is this Carmine Bee-e
_OZ85281.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
ater.

I would say that what you describe as far as difficult conditions can be broken down into 1) "typical" safari shooting and 2) complications from non-photographers in the vehicle. I'm definitely NOT an expert but I've taken 3 trips to various African countries (Zim/Zam/Bots/Kenya/Tanz) and have never done a photo specific safari. The last two times I've gone have been with a group of 3-other like-minded people (a.k.a. my family) and we've been lucky to have a vehicle all to ourselves and we've been able to tell the driver/guide where to park the vehicle for a better photo (in some cases they already knew where the best photographic location would be). Sometimes it takes a bit of reminding but it does work. So if you're willing to pay for a "private" vehicle (or have a large enough group) then at least you can remove the non-photographer complications from your equation and just concentrate on the usual issues.

Back