Nikon Z8 Autofocus Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've been looking around online just about everywhere and can't seem to find an answer to this. I noticed when shooting fast moving subjects (horses to be exact), that they seem to slip out of focus as they move towards or away from me. I am set up to BBF and have used 3D and C2 area modes and have noticed the issue still persists. My questions is: will the autofocus track while the camera is actively taking images or does the tracking function disengage when your finger is held down on the shutter?

I don't use focus tracking, 3D, or similar modes for horses. I photograph a lot of foxhunting. I'm using Wide Small and position the AF box on a portion of the horse or rider to optimize DOF. I pick up the subject early and hold the AF-On button down the entire time while shooting. I try to pick a high contrast AF target - a chest strap, the rider's hands, the rider's knee, or the front edge of the saddle to balance DOF so the rider is in focus and the horse is reasonably in focus. My aperture is normally f/4-5.6 depending on the angle of the subject. I end up shooting groups of up to 80 riders coming over a jump with a new rider every 1-1.5 seconds. I typically have 95-97% in focus - and the misses are usually because the riders are coming faster or two at a time and I get behind by a half second.

I've been looking around online just about everywhere and can't seem to find an answer to this. I noticed when shooting fast moving subjects (horses to be exact), that they seem to slip out of focus as they move towards or away from me. I am set up to BBF and have used 3D and C2 area modes and have noticed the issue still persists. My questions is: will the autofocus track while the camera is actively taking images or does the tracking function disengage when your finger is held down on the shutter?
The AF system should continue to track the subject even while shooting high frame rate bursts as long as you continue to hold down the BBAF button.

The AF system should continue to track the subject even while shooting high frame rate bursts as long as you continue to hold down the BBAF button.
Thanks, Dave. I guess I just wasn't sure if I was understanding it right and that maybe the AF would disengage while you are taking images. I seemed to have to release the shutter and then reacquire once the subject left the focal plane. I'll do some more fiddling with it before an event this weekend.

Thanks, Dave. I guess I just wasn't sure if I was understanding it right and that maybe the AF would disengage while you are taking images. I seemed to have to release the shutter and then reacquire once the subject left the focal plane. I'll do some more fiddling with it before an event this weekend.
I’d double check that you didn’t accidentally get into AF-S mode where the camera will lock focus on the first shot. If you’re shooting in AF-C mode and keep the AF system activated the focus should keep tracking even during continuous shooting bursts.

Just to say something basic just in case, you have to keep holding that bbf button while you shoot.

Back