Nikon Z8 body rigidity

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi y'all. Does anyone know if Nikon Z8 has a unibody frame? A student was shooting astro photos at night, somehow the camera fell over, upon closer inspection we found the bottom part where the quick plate sit got deformed just slightly, now the quick plate won't lock tight.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

Hi y'all. Does anyone know if Nikon Z8 has a unibody frame? A student was shooting astro photos at night, somehow the camera fell over, upon closer inspection we found the bottom part where the quick plate sit got deformed just slightly, now the quick plate won't lock tight.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver
Hello Oliver. The Nikon Z8 Repair Manual is at the link below. On pages 8 thru 23 you can see images of the body structure and components of the camera. It looks to me that camera body is two main structures (front and rear) screwed together with a bottom cover plate attached to provide additional rigidity. If it’s just the bottom plate which is deformed it can probably be replaced easily, but there are seals involved (an perhaps some adhesive) and there may be other internal attachments to it which aren’t obvious from the 3D model images provided.

Were it my camera, I’d have Nikon do the part repair or replacement. Attempting to do so on your own will void any remaining warranty on the camera.

Hello Oliver. The Nikon Z8 Repair Manual is at the link below. On pages 8 thru 23 you can see images of the body structure and components of the camera. It looks to me that camera body is two main structures (front and rear) screwed together with a bottom cover plate attached to provide additional rigidity. If it’s just the bottom plate which is deformed it can probably be replaced easily, but there are seals involved (an perhaps some adhesive) and there may be other internal attachments to it which aren’t obvious from the 3D model images provided.

Were it my camera, I’d have Nikon do the part repair or replacement. Attempting to do so on your own will void any remaining warranty on the camera.

Hi, JJ, thank you so much for the tips, sending the camera in for repair.

Oliver

Back