Nikon Z8 & Sigma 150-600 contemporary

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My Tamron 150-600mm G2 is doing better on my Z8 than on my Z6ii, still not as great as I would like in the far end.
Like so many others, waiting on the, currently vaporware, 200-600mm, with hopes it will meet or beat what is already out there. Other option that some seem to going to is the Sony 200-600mm with adaptor, less than $2K.

DZ8_6730.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
I have recently used the Z8 - SIGMA 150-600 C in Svalbard, but I am a little disappointed. The pictures are a little grainy, not as sharp as I expected them to come out, although the camera locked the focus on the bear. So I think it is not an autofocus issue. Also F8 should be ok for sharpness and 1/1600s should prevent any distortion from camera movement.ISO 1000 should also produce clearer images on the Z8.I had some issues with the OS not working after waking the camera from standby (had to switch OS off and on again), but at 1/1600s OS should not be an issue.
Perhaps it is just me pixel peeping, but what do you think?
The picture is cropped, but not resized so you can see the actual pixels

View attachment 66768I have recently used the Z8 - SIGMA 150-600 C in Svalbard, but I am a little disappointed. The pictures are a little grainy, not as sharp as I expected them to come out, although the camera locked the focus on the bear. So I think it is not an autofocus issue. Also F8 should be ok for sharpness and 1/1600s should prevent any distortion from camera movement.ISO 1000 should also produce clearer images on the Z8.I had some issues with the OS not working after waking the camera from standby (had to switch OS off and on again), but at 1/1600s OS should not be an issue.
Thanks for the reply! Yes the picture seems a bit grainy, but I guess it is what you should expect with a 45MP sensor at 1000 ISO on a 1.5 MP image (If I'm not wrong). I think the main problem with this picture is the extremely deep crop.

The new Nikon Z 180-600 will almost certainly be better if you can afford it. I had the Sony equivalent (200-600) and it was amazingly sharp, but I just sold it because it's a little too big and heavy for me. However if you are used to the Sigma 150-600 then the size and weight of the new Nikon should be no problem (it's the same size and weight as the Sony).

View attachment 66768I have recently used the Z8 - SIGMA 150-600 C in Svalbard, but I am a little disappointed. The pictures are a little grainy, not as sharp as I expected them to come out, although the camera locked the focus on the bear. So I think it is not an autofocus issue. Also F8 should be ok for sharpness and 1/1600s should prevent any distortion from camera movement.ISO 1000 should also produce clearer images on the Z8.I had some issues with the OS not working after waking the camera from standby (had to switch OS off and on again), but at 1/1600s OS should not be an issue.
The focus seems to be behind the bear, and there is probably some atmospheric haze going on (heat distorsion).
Markus

But then I guess it is an issue with the lens (being adapted), as the focus was locked on the eye of the bear (with the Z8 animal detection)
Could be, but I cannot conclude it from this one image. The bear looks definitely a little sharper at the rear leg, than the face. Also the rocks to the left (further away) look sharper than the rocks to the right (closer to the bear).

The new Nikon Z 180-600 will almost certainly be better if you can afford it. I had the Sony equivalent (200-600) and it was amazingly sharp, but I just sold it because it's a little too big and heavy for me. However if you are used to the Sigma 150-600 then the size and weight of the new Nikon should be no problem (it's the same size and weight as the Sony).
Thanks for the reply!

I would say, get closer to your subject (if possible) to fill the frame
Off course you can use the DX mode, but that is just croping in camera, and I don't think a teleconverter is a good option on an adapted lens.

Here’s some close range examples of my Z8 and Sigma 150-600 C. It can deliver some pretty sharp images. I’m not sure how much different the 180-600 would be at the same distance. I do want that lens for the weather sealing, internal zoom and FN buttons though eventually and I’m sure the focus motors are quieter. But for the price it gets pretty decent results. I have this lens with a D-750 prior to getting into the Z equipment.

DSC-6713-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DSC-6939-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DSC-6898-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
Back