Nikon Z9 Issue - Rubber Grip Turning White

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

D

DurinsBane

I use an 'Easycover Silicone Cover' to protect my Z9. I decided it was about time I took it off to check for dirt, grime etc and clean as necessary, however what I found was that the rubber on the surrounding grip was turning white.
I have read that this can happen if your camera is exposed to sea air, however it is rare for me to be in such areas.
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this on the Z9 and how they dealt with it?

I use an 'Easycover Silicone Cover' to protect my Z9. [...]
I can only think of two scenarios why the grip turns white.
A: Either chemicals from the silicone cover diffusing in the grip rubber or humidity trapped under the cover diffuses into the grip rubber.
B: Rubber decomposes/unmixes due to whatever reasons (heat, humidity...).

I have no idea if the process can be reversed.
Many old Nikon lenses have focus rings or zoom rings that became white, some more, some less.

If you really mind it, the rubber parts can be replaced by Nikon service.

As this is the first time I've ever ever seen anything on this It has to be to do with the 'protector'. I think there are some on here that use protectors/body armour so maybe one of them can shed some light on it.

If you are seeing what I have shown below, then the rubber has dried out. I have had it happen before on some of my equipment. You need to put some moisture back in but it will need to be a petroleum based item. I would not recommend a spray as that can get where you don't want it. You will want something kind of wax based item preferably that you can use your finger tips to apply. If there are grooves or recesses you may want to use an old tooth brush to get down in them.

I have used a product that is for lubricating muzzle loading patches in black powder guns. It is called Wonder Lube 1000 if you can still find it. I have had my jar for over a decade.
Dap a little on your fingers and apply. Then massage it in. I usually let it sit for a few min. then wipe any excess off with a clean rag.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. The first pic is of the dry rubber. The second is after I put the lubricant on. Be careful, you don't want it on any glass. That is why I say use your fingers and take your time.
Z62_Before.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z62_After.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This would be similar to lens focusing ring covers turning white from oxidation, etc. Rubber and vinyl cleaning/protecting products like Armor All or 303 Protectant would be what I would use. I usually avoid using oily substances around cameras and lenses. Many want to protect their expensive gear with lens and body covers, but I think I would avoid these as they create their own problems. If you get the body cleaned up or rubber replaced, don't put the silicon cover back on.

Back