Nikon Z9 + Nikon 400mm f/4.5 - first time birding experience

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Where are you walking for miles? Hiking Trails?
One of my regular locations is Phinizy Swamp near the Savannah River in Augusta - a large water treatment project that has manmade wetlands. It's typical for me to walk on wide paths for 4-5 miles as I circle the manmade ponds looking for birds and other wildlife. This is the location I am most likely to carry two long lenses since it has songbirds and wading birds. I also test lenses here. The terrain is flat with grassed or dirt paths wide enough for a vehicle (private vehicles are prohibited), but it can be quite warm and the distances are all relatively long. The shortest loop is 3 miles - the longest more than 8 miles.

Another recent location was Linville Falls (NC) during peak of the spring migration. It is both a terrific birding location and a landscape location - with a short but strenuous hike to the bottom of the falls. This location calls for everything from 15mm to 800mm depending on your preferred subject matter. The bird activity was so good a landscape outing turned into birding and bird photography.

The third regular location is at Jekyll Island (GA) where the best shorebird location requires a 1 mile hike along the beach. This is where I may carry the 600 f/4 in a backpack - because I don't want to leave gear on the sand unprotected. In the morning I typically start with landscapes for sunrise, then switch to a long lens once it's light enough for birds in flight. The 800mm, 500mm PF, or 400 f/4.5 (one only) are carried on a Black Rapid strap.

There are other locations that can come up for songbirds or in large parks and wildlife refuges. My Christmas Bird Count route covers three nearby parks and about a 5 mile walk on hilly trails.

The common thread with all these locations is that I have specific subject matter that calls for a long or very long lens, as well as other opportunities.

Last year I sold my 400 4.5 in favor of the 100-400 to pair with my 800PF. The 400 was meant to take the place of my 500PF, but I wasn’t too thrilled with the performance w/ the 1.4TC. Despite that, I always held that the bare lens was sensational for wide area environmental shots, close-up work that my 800 couldn’t cover, and I always toyed with the idea of one day trying another copy to see if perhaps I have a duff copy of the TC.

Well, I did just that. With the new rebates, I ordered a new 400 4.5. Idea is to pair it with my 600PF for an ultimate light weight prime kit. For my non-birding photography (aka family and travel), I shoot Fuji and a pair of primes, and I absolutely love it. I’m a firm believer in “limitation breeds creativity”, and that ethos brings a clarity of thought and intention to my work that’s refreshing. I’ve decided to apply that to my birding kit, two very lightweight primes that are fun/easy to shoot, with clear & deliberate use cases so as to avoid the analysis paralysis.

I thought I was set with the 800PF and 180-600, and it’s a stellar setup, but it’s heavy, cumbersome, and I very much enjoy small/light lenses like the 600PF/400 4.5. We’ll see how it goes 😉

Back