Nikon Z9 with FTZii, 500mm f5.6 PF and TC 1.4iii X Acceptable results?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have used the 400mm f4.5 next to my shooting partner who has been shooting with the 500mm pf and 1.4x tc. I also have the 800mm pf.

If you are looking for high quality shorter focal length images the 400mm f4.5 is a pretty sweet lens. I have some really nice shots taken of various local ducks that are impressively sharp. I could shoot effectively with the 1.4 tc out to 560mm with the 1.4x tc and still be able to crop quite a bit. But I had trouble reaching much farther. Certainly the 500mm pf is the better lens at 500mm and longer.

Neither of those lenses can compare to the 800mm PF at 800mm and beyond. Very few lenses can equal its long length performance and those few are super expensive.

The 500mm pf is good out to 700mm with the 14 tc.

The 600mm f6.3 PF is optically pretty close to the 500mm but the 600 because of the extra 100mm of focal length can get greater detail because of its longer reach. It is also pretty effective with the 1.4x tc out to the 800mm ranges.

I’ve been using my 20+ year old TC14EII, A TC17 and a TC20EIII on both my Z7II and Z8 with unbelievable results. I never had much luck with the TC20 until now.
OSPREY - 0954.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I also have two small problems:
I recently bought a TC 1.4 III from Amazon which I put on a 500mm f/5.6 PF. I'm new to Nikon, I have the Z9 now and I have a bit of "play", that is, when I turn the lens it moves a bit in the ftz adapter and probably in the TC. It is normal? Have you met before?
And problem number 2: the Tc has a small metal lever that moves freely and makes a noise, both when it's on its own and when it's mounted on the camera with the lens. Is this normal?
That was normal with my FTZ-1…and one of the reasons I switched from the 500PF to the 400/4.5 and Z TCs. Can't help with the F TCs as I never had one…but the 500PF did focus better with the Z bodies since the f8 limit was gone.

Howdy! My lens, the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 Pf, has a little "play" between it and the ftz2 adapter, that is, it moves a little when I turn it. It is normal? Does this affect my weather sealing (water and dust)? I specify that I use it on a Nikon Z9 body

Howdy! My lens, the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 Pf, has a little "play" between it and the ftz2 adapter, that is, it moves a little when I turn it. It is normal? Does this affect my weather sealing (water and dust)? I specify that I use it on a Nikon Z9 body
Yes, almost always a bit of play in many F mount lenses. It will probably have no effect whatever.

Back