Nikon's Z 70-180 2.8 lens for wildlife.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MJR

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The last 3 days here in S Cal we have been experience King tides. Along with the tides it seems come more fish. As a result at Bolsa Chica we have been having feeding frenzy's involving Brown Pelicans, Cormorants, Reddish, Great and Snowy Egrets, Bonaparte Gulls, Red breasted Mergansers, and others. A lot of the action has been taking place at the bridge and so close that the Plunge Diving Brown Pelicans almost splash you as they try to get the fish hiding under the bridge. I have been using my Z100-400 for most of the action but decided today to take my new Z70-180 2.8 for a try. Attached are 3 images from today with this lens. I think it performed admirably and would make a great addition to a travel kit where you needed to travel light.
Brown Pelican ready to plunge dive.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Brown Pelicans in breeding plumage.jpg
2 that got away.jpg

A 70-200 f2.8 has always been my favorite and most used lens. Nice work and you will find the lens even more useful if you have to shoot at f2.8 just after the sun goes down (or before it rises). When I sold my DSLR setup this summer and bought a Z8 I got the Z 70-200 with it as my first lens. That tapped me out financially and I think (?) this 70-180 was released shortly after? If it had been available when I got my Z8 I might have gotten it instead to save money (and weight).

Would be curious to see how it performs with a 1.4x TC. I've seen a few images with the combination though I haven't seen enough to make any determination. The 70-180 usually accompanies me on travels for portraits, street work. Alternatively, the 24-120 (or conversely the larger 35-150) provide greater utility than the 70-180.

In my experience a 180 or 200 mm lens works well for wildlife as long as you can get close enough. Birds and animals that live are used to people will usually let photographers get quite close. Otherwise, a longer focal length is usually necessary; at lest a 300 mm lens.

Would be curious to see how it performs with a 1.4x TC. I've seen a few images with the combination though I haven't seen enough to make any determination. The 70-180 usually accompanies me on travels for portraits, street work. Alternatively, the 24-120 (or conversely the larger 35-150) provide greater utility than the 70-180
Per your request here is an image I shot this morning with the Z9 and Z70-180 with a Z 1.4 TC. No loss of IQ that I can see. Only pp applied was exposure opened up I think 1/3 stop. No sharpening.
Z 70-180 with 1.4 TC.jpg

Back