Noctilucent clouds

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Elbert

On the first night of our holiday in Denmark there was a nice display of noctilucent clouds. They consist of ice crystals at round 80 km altitude that are iluminated directly by the sun. That's why they are a summer phenomenon. This was taken around midnight. I'll post a time lapse in the video section
_Z7A1361-Verbeterd-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

On the first night of our holiday in Denmark there was a nice display of noctilucent clouds. They consist of ice crystals at round 80 km altitude that are iluminated directly by the sun. That's why they are a summer phenomenon. This was taken around midnight. I'll post a time lapse in the video section
View attachment 94148
Beautiful! Is this on the west coast of Jylland?

It doesn't look real (I'm not in any way doubting that it is). It looks more like crinkled cellophane wrap.
The wavelike patterns are called atmospheric gravity waves (the name is a little confusing, they have nothing to do with gravity waves caused by fluctuations in gravity in an astronomical context). They are waves propagating through the atmosphere, similar to waves at the beach, they become visible through the pressure variations.

Back