Northern Reflections

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I really enjoyed that offbeat 90s TV show; but this isn't Cecily Alaska. Its looking out over the Georgia Strait toward the Gulf Islands and the Coastal mountains from our patio in Qualicum Beach BC. And its not from last month's big show; its from a similar show last August. Qualicum sits pretty much square on the "medicine line", the 49th parallel separating Canada and the US, so when we get the aurora its usually a faint greenish glow on the horizon. This time it wasn't.
_NZ83669-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_NZ83645-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting. I'm enjoying looking at successful aurora shots of others in case we encounter more when we travel later this summer. I saw it for the 1st time in May this year when the aurora made it south far enough. I noticed your exposure times are similar to what I tried (between 3 and 10 seconds). I tried to keep my iso down a little more, but I have an older camera. The wind was fierce so I couldn't get a crisp foreground like you did.
Awesome shots! I especially like the crisp stars below and above the intense aurora.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting. I'm enjoying looking at successful aurora shots of others in case we encounter more when we travel later this summer. I saw it for the 1st time in May this year when the aurora made it south far enough. I noticed your exposure times are similar to what I tried (between 3 and 10 seconds). I tried to keep my iso down a little more, but I have an older camera. The wind was fierce so I couldn't get a crisp foreground like you did.
Awesome shots! I especially like the crisp stars below and above the intense aurora.
Thank you. And yeah, it’s worthwhile playing with the settings. I find if I go too long on exposure, the lights start to smudge because they’re moving pretty fast.

Back