Northern rough wing swallow BIF's

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Promapper

Greg
Supporting Member
These swallows or others like them have been nesting inside a wall for years. I tried on multiple occasions to get a bif of them but no joy. I finally changed my approach.

I decided to preset exposures AND preset focus. That was the easy part. I still was not able to track the birds fast enough. I finally found an adapter to go from a hot shoe mount to a picatinny mount. Then found a micro size Shotgun red dot sight. Holding the camera at about 1/2 arms length made it possible to at least track the bird coming and going. After several, well more than several shots I got some decent ones show below. Hope you like them.

Nikon D7100, 1st shot was the 200-500 and the others were with the 70-200 2.8.
index.php
2019Jun07-145747 web.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
2019Jun07-145412 web.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• 2018Apr24-143553_1 web.jpg
    2018Apr24-143553_1 web.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 215
Tough shots the way they move. Nicely done and thanks for the back story as it really helps to see what other folks are trying.

I know you didn't solicit feedback, but be gentle with the sharpening. There appears to be some sharpening artifacts, for instance the bright halo around the first bird.

Tough shots the way they move. Nicely done and thanks for the back story as it really helps to see what other folks are trying.

I know you didn't solicit feedback, but be gentle with the sharpening. There appears to be some sharpening artifacts, for instance the bright halo around the first bird.

Not a problem DR, I saw the sharpening outline on these and opted to leave it. I should have rerun them. N.P. with pointing things out to me. It all helps to remind me at times when I get lazy. these were mostly on the edge of being sharp since it was all preset. I obviously pushed it to far.

Some birdies just do not want to play, I have tried and am still trying on swallows, .20 years, and still need to nail one 100%

Good job, I enjoy going out to watch them also.

Back