Not a great pic of Mountain Lions put a pic.....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We were doing a snowmobile trip in Yellowstone some 20 yrs ago and we dropped down to Jackson before heading back to CA. We were stopping at galleries there and at Thomas Mangelson's nature gallery, the gallery staff told us he was out at refuge taking mountain lion pics. My wife and I arrived at the scene on east side of Elk Refuge and saw a line of huge 600 f/4 lens strapped to tripods lining the drive. Not to be intimidated, I pulled out my 300mm f/4 nikon with I believe a Tamron 1.4 teleconvertor, needless to say there was alot of lens envy on my part and manhood was greatly diminished. However, I still managed the 50+ yard shot to get a few slides of the event . Mangelson was there and he came over to chat, likely he was checking out the competition as my rig was quite intimidating;) I actually think I did pretty well for slides scanned with my camera and the age of slides.
Mom out front.
DSC_6429-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Cubs, look at least yr olds and mom walking back to cave opening.
DSC_6171-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I know these are less than quality but I just wanted to show them and tell my encounter story and that my wife had my back on my diminished manhood issue!:)

Last edited:
At least you got documentary shots. I've never see one in the wild. That's one thing we don't have up here. Too much competition from bears and wolves I guess.

At least you got documentary shots. I've never see one in the wild. That's one thing we don't have up here. Too much competition from bears and wolves I guess.
Didn't know that. I assumed everywhere. Yes I have one under the belt so can only improve from here! We had a deer kill about 150 yards from the house and a second around 300 yard both last week confirmed Mtn lion on ring doorbells. A third on yesterday so someone is busy likely more than one in neighborhood. So I have been going everywhere with camera in tow now in hopes I catch one. There are around 8 deer in a here around the house right now. We all have done alot of brush abatement so can see a little ways off roads just driving around... maybe this year that upgrade shot.

Great shots, I've never seen one in the wild either and they aren't local to me (New England). I've done a lot of trips out west, hiking etc but have never run across one which I'm actually happy about :)

Great shots, I've never seen one in the wild either and they aren't local to me (New England). I've done a lot of trips out west, hiking etc but have never run across one which I'm actually happy about :)
Thanks John. I have only spied Bobcats in wild around here. We did have a lion once when we first moved in sleeping in a cleared area, appeared resting after a big meal, that was 27yrs ago never since. People aren't seeing them around me except on Ring doorbell and security. Pretty good at hiding. We have had now 3 kills of deer in neighborhood in past 2 weeks so we have one, just cant see. Agree, really don't want a surprise encounter!

It's really great that you got those shots. You gotta' take what comes your way. If that was me, I probably would have been so excited I would have blown the shot. There's no chimping your shots with film!

It's really great that you got those shots. You gotta' take what comes your way. If that was me, I probably would have been so excited I would have blown the shot. There's no chimping your shots with film!
You are so right! During that era, the 600mm was out of price range for most amateur hobbyist and with film you had to bracket your exposure to make sure you got the shot but cost of wasted pics kept me from doing alot of that. No LR to do post production correction. Crop in print was the adjustment! Of course the quality of the shot was personal as at that time I never figured I would have the opportunity to show them to complete strangers someday either, pre social media!:) Good thing I didn't have to walk uphill in both directions to get the shot too!!!!!!:LOL:

A superb shot. You remember the circumstances as if it just happened and you still have the slides. Great history! What more could one ask for from a photograph?

A superb shot. You remember the circumstances as if it just happened and you still have the slides. Great history! What more could one ask for from a photograph?
Thanks Joe. Can't argue with your logic on that! The story is the picture, not the lions themselves. You are so right about the memories around the shot. All my wife recalls is freezing on that snowmobile trip despite being dressed in so many layers that she looked like the Michelin Tire guy!!!

Back