Not "bald" just yet...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RecalcitrantRon

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Bald Eaglet. We are fortunate to have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles nearby. There are three eaglets in the nest, but only one was moving around this evening to be seen. Dad was on the back of the tree on the lookout while Mom was stretching her wings a little. Photographing this nest is a little like trying to shoot through a keyhole with the tree, branches and nest material in front and behind. Put the 2x teleconverter on my 600 f/4 to get in there.

RJS_3319-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Bald Eaglet. We are fortunate to have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles nearby. There are three eaglets in the nest, but only one was moving around this evening to be seen. Dad was on the back of the tree on the lookout while Mom was stretching her wings a little. Photographing this nest is a little like trying to shoot through a keyhole with the tree, branches and nest material in front and behind. Put the 2x teleconverter on my 600 f/4 to get in there.

View attachment 88012
Awesome👍👍👍

I like it, a lot! Going from my phone screen, there seems to be a bit of color shift around the branch above the eagles head, that is not bothersome so with high contrast and out of focus stuff, especially against clear skies, it is unavoidable more often than not. Anyways, I don't think it is distracting, in fact, I had to look for it, tge first couple of times I looked ar the picture, I didn't see it at all. Theoretically you could clone it out, I wouldn't. But then I like photos with a documentary character, aka showing things, generally, as they are. After all, there are not tgat many birds nesting in exposed places or in front of beautiful backgrounds.

Composition is fine, it would be interesting to see a slightly wider crop using the left hand tree to frame the subject. Just out of curiosity so. Might not be possible, depending on available angles, distance and size of the tree. I do like the out of focus green foreground, it gives some depth and gives me a feeling of intimacy.

The eaglet seems well exposed and it's pretty sharp with good detail. I've never been a fan of blurry foreground blobs "framing" a subject, so personally I'd crop away as much as I could, and maybe try to eliminate some of the twigs on the left. The twigs on the right could also go as neither adds anything visually interesting, where the area of emphasis should be the eaglet. Something is up with the sky color, maybe too purple? Or maybe its the CA from the branches. I might be tempted to select it and use point color to maybe desaturate and move the hue more toward blue, and maybe clone out the purple twigs.

Back