NX Studio and Focus Points

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SBurkholder

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I started up NX Studio today to look at the Focus Points. I seldom use this software so I'm unfamiliar with it's ins and outs. I'm using a Z8 with the Z 100-400 lens with a 1.4 TC shooting raw and in DX mode. My A/F is set in the camera to a custom 1X1 A/F point.

After loading the photos in NX Studio, and clicking On & Off the third button from the left of toolbar, or trying the View>Image View Options>Show Focus Points from the top menu, I don't see where it shows the focus points on the image. Neither method seems to work. I'm wondering what I am doing wrong or if it just doesn't work with the way I've got the camera set up.

Does using the TC stop the focus points from working or using the custom 1 X 1 focus area in the camera, or ...

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Focus point is not shown by default, use "View" on the Toolbar to select "Image Viewer Options", then "Show Focus Point" or use the "Ctrl+Shift+F" keyboard shortcut or by right clicking on the displayed image and select "Show Focus Point".

FP_NXS_2_310124.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

or
FP_NXS_1_310124.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have Z8 and I just checked NX studio and works fine even with the custom 1X1 AF point.
You may also enable or disable right click on the screen, I am a sporadic user also
Thanks for responding everyone. I've solved the problem. Turned out that I was using and old version of NX Studio. I downloaded the most recant version and it now works.

Nikon Ambassadors Jasin Boland and Vincent Versace swear by NX Studio for the front end of their workflow. Both have told me directly that they feel NXStudio does the best job of all software products with RAW conversion for Nikon files. Versace uses Photoshop for his downstream work most of the time, but believes NXStudio does a particularly good job of rendering Nikon colors.

I've been looking at it. I'm going to give it a try since it seems to load initial previews much faster than LR. Not looking forward to learning another new interface however!. I've also noticed that the color translation seems to be a little more vivid than LR and I'm liking the look.

NX Studio has really nice features and FREE; Yet, I think the focus point feature is pretty hit and miss and marginally useful. I have many examples where the focus box is shown off to the side on a blurry background when the birds eye is sharp and what was focused on in the viewfinder.

NX Studio has really nice features and FREE; Yet, I think the focus point feature is pretty hit and miss and marginally useful. I have many examples where the focus box is shown off to the side on a blurry background when the birds eye is sharp and what was focused on in the viewfinder.
The focus point info is coming from the camera , I also notice that is hit and miss sometimes..
its working on camera Jpegs also, I cant speak for the older versions
NX studio is not bad but slow, I use it as the first program in the workflow.

There are several reasons the AF point may not be where it is expected. It's an indicator.
  • The AF point is based on the location of the point in the camera when focus was achieved. If you focus and reframe, the location of the AF point may be off your subject.
  • AF area modes using a group of sensors can show the actual sensor used. The camera is looking for a high contrast target - not necessarily the selectable area you have chosen. It can go to nearby sensors even if that is outside the AF box.
  • Focus on the subject when an image is taken is is not recorded. It simply records the location of the sensor. If the distance to the subject changes - camera movement, subject movement, or zooming - the focus may not be correct.

Back