NX Studio won't load

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Lance B

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Anyone have issues with NX Studio not loading? It was working and now it isn't. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it still loads up and then drops out after a few seconds. I don't use it as my main RAW porcessor so it's no big deal, but I do use it to get some info from it from time to time.

Anyone have issues with NX Studio not loading? It was working and now it isn't. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it still loads up and then drops out after a few seconds. I don't use it as my main RAW porcessor so it's no big deal, but I do use it to get some info from it from time to time.
Yes I was having this problem recently. Did the same reinstall with no love. I was able to resolve it by going in file explorer and deleting all of the files in the following location. The "xxxx" in the path would be your username depending on how you have your pc set up. The "...." simply indicates all of the files in that folder. I deleted them all.

"C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Nikon\NX Studio\Cache\...."

Thanks for the tip, Dan, but unfortunately it didn't work. However, what I did do was disconnect the portable SSD drive it was trying to connect to and it lets me get into NX Studio and can access my other SSD drives. I then tried to open the particular folder that NX Studio was trying to open on that SSD drive and it kept shutting down NX Studio. So, I then tried different folders on that same SSD drive and they all work. There must be a conflict/error issue with that particular folder. I even went and deleted the sidecar files for Capture One, thinking they may have a conflict with NX Studio and that didn't allow it to access the folder either. I then moved the files to a new folder and renamed it but it won't let me access the files in a different folder and NX Ztudio shuts down again. Capture One has no issue accessing those files. and Adobe Bridge has no trouble with opening the thumbnail files for view either. So, I am at a loss as to why that folder has issues with NX Studio.

I did also while I was away last week! I uninstalled the latest version and went back to the prior version which luckily I had downloaded on my laptop.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have been also hit by the extreme slow NX Studio on my 2 PCs. Nikon support did not find anything except they suggested to create a new account just to try and use NX Studio, and it worked perfectly well. So this means there was something in my main account that was incompatible with NX Studio : another software or some parameters. Nikon support concluded I had to contact the hardware manufacturers, which is the most stupid answer I have had on that topic. FYI, all my other software such as Lightroom or Capture NX-D were working perfectly.

But since I just installed a new PC, I tried to find out what the issue was. I installed NX Studio as the first program and it was very fast. Then I made all the other installations and parameters setups step by step, to check after each step if NX Studio was still running well. And I found out! The faulty program is my cloud access and synchronization tool, pCloud (a Swiss cloud company, which provides a nice solution btw, that works perfectly well. Each time I quit this pCloud program, NX Studio immediately launches if it was blocked, or allows me to look at my albums and open a photo at a good speed. Even on my 15 yrs old PC.

I have no idea why it is so. I will try to inform Nikon support, and also pCloud and see what they say. Meanwhile I am just stopping my cloud sync when I want to use NX Studio. Not optimal since my reworked photos are not automatically backed up, until I close NX Studio and relaunch the cloud software. But better than nothing.

I hope this may help people who have more a less the same issue. The best way to test is to create a secondary account, install NX Studio first, check it works well, and then install all the other softwares you have, one by one, until you find out which one is preventing NX studio to launch...

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.58.40.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I had the same problem. Windows 10 would download the program run the installations and then advise complete and finish...but the program was nowhere to be found. Talked to NPS and we agreed that a Windows reset is what was needed. I have never reset this machine in five years. Did the reset, which is a pain reinstalling lots of programs, passwords etc but the bottom line is the NX Studio was downloaded and installed OK. That's my story.

Hi all, I have been also hit by the extreme slow NX Studio on my 2 PCs. Nikon support did not find anything except they suggested to create a new account just to try and use NX Studio, and it worked perfectly well. So this means there was something in my main account that was incompatible with NX Studio : another software or some parameters. Nikon support concluded I had to contact the hardware manufacturers, which is the most stupid answer I have had on that topic. FYI, all my other software such as Lightroom or Capture NX-D were working perfectly.

But since I just installed a new PC, I tried to find out what the issue was. I installed NX Studio as the first program and it was very fast. Then I made all the other installations and parameters setups step by step, to check after each step if NX Studio was still running well. And I found out! The faulty program is my cloud access and synchronization tool, pCloud (a Swiss cloud company, which provides a nice solution btw, that works perfectly well. Each time I quit this pCloud program, NX Studio immediately launches if it was blocked, or allows me to look at my albums and open a photo at a good speed. Even on my 15 yrs old PC.

I have no idea why it is so. I will try to inform Nikon support, and also pCloud and see what they say. Meanwhile I am just stopping my cloud sync when I want to use NX Studio. Not optimal since my reworked photos are not automatically backed up, until I close NX Studio and relaunch the cloud software. But better than nothing.

I hope this may help people who have more a less the same issue. The best way to test is to create a secondary account, install NX Studio first, check it works well, and then install all the other softwares you have, one by one, until you find out which one is preventing NX studio to launch...

For me it was google drive. Once I stopped google drive from running, the app started in about 10 seconds.

Back