Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not to be a skeptic, but almost everything Nikon is on back order. Buying a Z9 means buying in to a new ecosystem for many of us. Will the lenses even be available with the camera? Or, will they be on endless back order?

Now if Nikon comes out with a PF big boy lens like is now rumored I sure could see buying that single lens and a Z9 or its replacement (not knowing when you could even get one of the new lenses (took me years to get a 500PF)) and using it along side my Sony gear.
I think that is an official roadmap so it looks like they are coming. Can't wait!

It's basically the same limitation as the Sony A1. If you want 30 FPS(Hi+) in an A1 you either shoot jpeg or a lossy compressed raw. The Nikon implementation is really the same with different terminology.

[edit] It seems based on the published specs the Z9 might only support 30 FPS in jpeg mode in which case Sony supporting it for lossy raw files is looking pretty good. Might have gotten a bit out in front of my skis on that one.

For me it's the same. Both of these cameras only do 20fps without compromises. When I was using the A1 I ran it in 20fps since I'd rather have the higher image quality than the frame rate. Obviously for someone who REALLY needs 30fps, perhaps Sony's 30fps has fewer compromises and thus works better for them.

Good overview - man, that start up time is impressive. I've lost a few shots because of slow starts and looks like Nikon solved it.

That's sort of why I held out for the Z9 over the A1. I think Nikon tends to think more about these little handling/operational things that add up. While I'm sure I could adapt to the A1 startup time, it was slow enough that it would require me to change how I shoot. With my D500, I can flip it on as I raise it to my eye. With the A1 it requires me to power on a bit before and makes it harder to catch unanticipated opportunities.

I suspect the card used is a lot more important than ever. To get the 8k video performance the pipeline and write speed of the card is key. So for still shooting they may be relying a lot more on how fast the buffer can write to the card than on the size of the buffer memory chip.

I think that's likely the case. When you stream video to the media, there's no "cheating" with buffers, so you really rely on your media speed. This means your pathways _have_ to be fast enough to support that throughput. The other thing to consider is if your media path is fast enough you can cut back on buffer memory and reduce the cost of the camera. And it turns out they reduced the price of the camera.

I've been and remain on the fence with Nikon as a "hostage". My local shop has had A1 and 200-600 in stock for weeks. It's taken more than a little resolve not to run down there.

You could always rent it. That's what I did. It's a super nice camera but I really wanted to see what the Z9 would offer before I decided.

"So basically, they traded weight for battery performance which is something I can get behind."

Yep. I disagree. Not happy with Nikon's direction.

I watched the professional photographers lug around huge lenses and get in contorted positions, even one lying on rocks to shoot birds and reindeer. I do not see Joe average retiree now wildlife photographer do anything like that. The Z-9 is a professional camera not a semi-pro retired enthusiast camera whereas the Sony A1, while quite expensive, fills the bill quite nicely.

The crucial question for marketers is who is your target market? How big is the target market for Steves, Thom Hogans and the like?

I think that's a fair point, but I think Nikon _had_ to make this particular camera and I suspect while we can sit back and say they could have supported a smaller battery and then pros could add a battery grip that, from a very brass tacks design perspective, would have led them to make design compromises which would lead to compromises in performance or reliability, or add cost or whatever. Hard to say. Basically the camera they produced provides a path forward for EVERY d5 and d6 owner. The LACK of a path forward for those people is what makes those people consider abandoning ship. I suspect we'll see a z6iii and z7iii in maybe a year that maybe leverages the Exceed 7 but uses it with a conventional sensor that will fill the enthusiast role.

-john

One thing I haven't seen any coverage on yet (but I have yet to view a lot of it) is low light performance. Anyone see any coverage of that? Steve's A1 review makes me hopeful it'll be fine, but I've seen some folks be concerned about the max native ISO. Thoughts?

-john

Any idea when first shipments will be?
[/QUOTE]
In the presentation they said "...ships in 2021" and that's what I was told when I handed over my cash :)

first impressions by Grays of Westminster, they will have a longer discussion tomorrow afternoon (UK time)

What is this ZEE-nine he speaks of? ;) ;)
CA-Canada-Flag-icon.png
;);) It looks very much like the ZED-nine to me

Reading all the primary specs summarized on Nikon website(s) eg 10 x faster EXPEED7, highest sensor scan rate.... the whole that is the Z9 is clearly greater than the proverbial sum of the parts; the main bottleneck seems to be the write rate of the CFExp cards one chooses - as this chap summarizes.

Also note the improved AF hit rate of the legendary 200 f2G VR II on the Z9 compared to a D6 (albeit a human model walking in bright sunlight). This stunning fast telephoto is a challenge to focus consistently at f2.

Last edited:
As many of us have said before, due to my current Nikon glass investment, the Z9 doesn't have to be better than the others, it just has to be competitive. I'm confident that it is, so my money is down. I'm also very intrigued by the new unannounced 400mm and 800mm that are showing up in the updated lens road map. It all looks like a lot of fun.

Unless I missed it in this thread of 9 pages, I wonder if Steve is going to be picking up the Z9 and will do a review on it - I sure hope so - I trust him more than anyone for an accurate review and from a real wildlife photographer.

I think I would go with the 100-400 along with the 24-70/f4…more on the long end for BIF and wildlife and losing the 70-100 range is small compensation for that.
I also have Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR, AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR that I could use with the FTZ-II though I do not think they will give as nice an image.

I shoot with two identical bodies as it provides me with the ability to change lenses less frequently and to have a prime telephoto on one body and a zoom lens on the other one. I also have a backup so if one fails I can use the other body and not need to take time to think about where the controls are located or which settings to use, especially autofocus settings, on the other camera.

At this point this camera pair are D850's with battery grips and the EN-EL18 batteries. I have a D5 for special situations and a IR converted D610 for landscapes. Investing $15,000 on the Z9 is not a decision I would make lightly. I would need to use the FTZ adapter with all my lenses and me using where I will be using a teleconverter as well. Where Nikon has screwed up in my estimation is in not producing a Z equivalent to the 500mm PF lens. It is my most used telephoto lens and while it may be possible to use it with the FTZ adapter it is far from ideal.

It also begs the question that if one needs to buy two new cameras and new lenses, then why not consider Sony and Canon and even the Olympus MFT systems as well. With Olympus my kit would be half the size and half the weight which makes overseas travel far simpler. My Nikon FX kit for Costa Rica and similar locations fits in a 32L backpack with a weight of 37 lbs whereas my wife's Olympus MFT equivalent kit fits inside a 18L backpack and weighs roughly 15 pounds. As an old photographer with an old body (my own) the 22 lbs of weight reduction is not trivial.

The new 24-120mm lens from Nikon is long overdue. The FX one I briefly owned was so lacking in sharpness that I quickly sold it and bought the Sigma 24-105mm lens. I do not recommend the Sigma as manual focus is not possible and the rotation is the reverse of the Nikon zoom lenses and it takes larger than 77mm size filters.

Back