Old Barns

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rainy/windy day last Sunday so decided to try something different. Shot using OM-1 and 12-100 using vintage and monochrome styles. First attempt at this what can i do better?

resie 7.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
resie 6.jpg
resie 2.jpg
resie 4.jpg
resie 5.jpg
resie 1.jpg

These are very nice photos. I think that making them 'better' is difficult to say because appreciation of images like these is subjective. Some folks will like the monochrome renditions while others may prefer color. However, it was a good idea to present both. Now I prefer the color versions of the first barn and like the Rock City barn in color as well. But I like the monochrome version of the dilapidated barn with two silos because, for me, it sets the right mood.

The other thing that comes to mind for the barn photos would be to try zooming out a bit to show more of the surrounding landscape and move the structures off center.

Keep up the good work. (y)

These are very nice photos. I think that making them 'better' is difficult to say because appreciation of images like these is subjective. Some folks will like the monochrome renditions while others may prefer color. However, it was a good idea to present both. Now I prefer the color versions of the first barn and like the Rock City barn in color as well. But I like the monochrome version of the dilapidated barn with two silos because, for me, it sets the right mood.

The other thing that comes to mind for the barn photos would be to try zooming out a bit to show more of the surrounding landscape and move the structures off center.

Keep up the good work. (y)
Thanks geezer. I will keep those suggestions in mind

All the shots look a little underexposed to me, I'd brighten them up a little. With the bland gray skies, I usually try to eliminate as much of the sky as possible as it doesn't usually add anything. If you are going to do monochrome, the traditional way is to get tonal values from the entire range (Zone 1 to 10), from black to paper white, ie, add some contrast.
You have some interesting images to work with.

Went back in and did some further editing of one of the pics. Cropped some of sky and added more contrast. Looking now for book on shooting in monchrome/black white

Original
resie 5.jpg

Revised
Rain Day  redone 11-05-2022.jpg

Yes I do. Seems to draw out more detail/depth in photo. Would like to explore this more. Some great spots here in Tennessee that lends itself to this type of photography. Thanks again for your input.

Back