Old Manfrotto 234 Monopod Head

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I found what must be a new-old-stock Manfrotto 234 monopod head at a price I couldn't resist, and I'm trying to figure out how to reverse the threaded mounting post from 1/4 to 3/8 and back again. Because this model was discontinued in 2008, Manfrotto says they don't have any documents covering it. There is a textured rubber pad surrounding the threaded post, where a camera or plate would rest, that sits in a recess in the casting, and I'm guessing that If I were to pry it up it might reveal a "c" clip or some similar sort of retainer. But, before I do something destructive I thought I'd just pose the question, and see if there is maybe a simple procedure that I have just over looked.

Welcome to the forum, mtboze!

I have one of those somewhere. The trick is to take the tightening knob completely out, pull the bolt out and separate the two parts. Flip the mounting post and reassemble. Super easy!

Looks like there's a hexagonal "nut' in the center of the post. Do like Mike said.

r234-05-500x500.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm embarrassed to report that even though I've never considered myself an engineering genius, I should have noticed right off that all you have to do is remove the bolt that tightens the tilting, and the two cast pieces come apart. You then orient the threaded post as you wish, attach the knob, and reassemble the two cast pieces. It couldn't have been more simple.

Back