If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This past weekend I was very fortunate to locate and photograph a number of Bighorn sheep, mostly ewes, lambs, and a couple of younger rams. This capture was one that I waited for, as these two settled into position to chew their cud. I feel even more fortunate that I was able to get this Picasso-esque image of their two faces becoming one. HOWEVER, had I been paying attention to things like f-stop, and shutter speed, and ISO, this could have been an amazing capture. As shot, it was f/22, ss 1/1600, ISO 4000 - a head-slap moment for sure when I pulled this (and many others) into LR for post-processing. There was enough ambient light that I could have dropped the ss down to something below 1/1000 or lower to possibly get my aperture into 5.6 or 6 and an ISO much closer to what, maybe 1000 or less? I know there are folks here who can extrapolate the exposure equivalents in their head, but I'm not one of them...yet. Anyway, I feel extremely fortunate to have captured these guys and look forward to improving my on-site exposure evaluations in the future. Oh, I was shooting a D7500 w/ Nikkor 200-500 zoom off of a monopod w/ a Wimberly QR tripod head. Apologies for the double post.

_D759714-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Congrats on the find and the cool experience. You might want to try shooting in manual mode with auto ISO turned on. That way you can control your ss and f-stop but still have auto exposure by letting ISO float in auto.

Um...yeah, Dan. I'm somewhat chagrined to report that was shot in manual w/ auto ISO. Guess I got too excited for the moment to actually remember, oh yeah, I'm a photographer here, not a tourist. o_O Thanks, just the same, tho!

Um...yeah, Dan. I'm somewhat chagrined to report that was shot in manual w/ auto ISO. Guess I got too excited for the moment to actually remember, oh yeah, I'm a photographer here, not a tourist. o_O Thanks, just the same, tho!
I can't count the number of high ISO shots I've got because I'm set up for BIF shooting and some critter steps out of the woods. It happens :confused:

I can't count the number of high ISO shots I've got because I'm set up for BIF shooting and some critter steps out of the woods. It happens :confused:
You got that right! I'm thinking about taking a piece of masking/gaffers tape, putting it on top of the pop-up flash housing and writing on it, "Check SETTINGS!!" Maybe the visual reminder will help. BTW...I'll be headed Anchorage-way this September for a vacation with the Mrs. We both love AK!