If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello! My first attempt to post photos.
Spring Valley Reservoir
Nikon D500 / 300PF + 1.4
Osprey 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Osprey 2.jpg
Osprey 4.jpg

Those are some nice ones, Dan. In the second one I love the position of the bird, fish in the talons, and eye contact. Eye is just a tad soft. Looks like focus might have been on a different part of the bird. The bird's right wing(left of frame) looks sharper than the head. What focus area mode were you using?

Those are some nice ones, Dan. In the second one I love the position of the bird, fish in the talons, and eye contact. Eye is just a tad soft. Looks like focus might have been on a different part of the bird. The bird's right wing(left of frame) looks sharper than the head. What focus area mode were you using?
Thanks for the question! I’m just starting out with this BIF stuff. My focus mode is GrP.

Thanks for the question! I’m just starting out with this BIF stuff. My focus mode is GrP.
Group is the most reliable/predictable mode for BIF as it simply focuses on the closest thing to the camera that falls under the group of focus points. If this is an uncropped image and you had the focus point centered in the frame it makes sense that the wing is sharp and the head was slightly out.

Group is the most reliable/predictable mode for BIF as it simply focuses on the closest thing to the camera that falls under the group of focus points. If this is an uncropped image and you had the focus point centered in the frame it makes sense that the wing is sharp and the head was slightly out.
Ok, thank you. I’ll concentrate more on keeping the head in the focus point.

Group is the most reliable/predictable mode for BIF as it simply focuses on the closest thing to the camera that falls under the group of focus points....
This is very important knowledge when using Group-Area AF Mode (G-A). The first time I ever used G-A was at the suggestion of a fellow photographer while out shooting. I found out this was the case with G-A when I returned home and started editing and saw that nearly every photo wasn't what I wanted or expected AF focus wise.