Osprey dad delivering fish to fledglings

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Redive

Supporting Member
First time posting to this thread. I'm a bit uncertain about what file type size to post, but here goes.

We watched and photographed this nest for the full breeding>fledging season. What an experience!

Shot with Nikon Z9 Nikon 500PF iso 320 f/6.3 1/2500.

Would love to hear what you think.
Kind regards,
Mark
Delivery.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

First time posting to this thread. I'm a bit uncertain about what file type size to post, but here goes.

We watched and photographed this nest for the full breeding>fledging season. What an experience!

Shot with Nikon Z9 Nikon 500PF iso 320 f/6.3 1/2500.

Would love to hear what you think.
Kind regards,
MarkView attachment 76477
Welcome. Nice shot ! I think I’m with Dan though. I prefer the color version.

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the feedback and the warm welcome.

I appreciate the comments on color vs monochrome. In fact the version posted is in color. However, I did desaturate the background to take the green out of it as I felt it drew the eye from the birds. Really the birds are B and W with the glaring exceptions of their red and orange eyes. The eyes really come through on a 17X22 print, but get lost on my computer. In an attempt to keep the converstiuon rolling, I am posting the 'crop only' version that has not he ghe background desaturated. I am super curions what you think of the comparison as I have considered completely converting this set of images to mono with the eyes left as is.

Really stoked to talk wildlife photography with other fellow sufferers ;-)
Mark
Delivery_Raw.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the comments on color vs monochrome. In fact the version posted is in color. However, I did desaturate the background to take the green out of it as I felt it drew the eye from the birds. Really the birds are B and W with the glaring exceptions of their red and orange eyes. The eyes really come through on a 17X22 print, but get lost on my computer. In an attempt to keep the converstiuon rolling, I am posting the 'crop only' version that has not he ghe background desaturated. I am super curions what you think of the comparison as I have considered completely converting this set of images to mono with the eyes left as is.

MarkView attachment 76499
I like this version, but the color of their eyes seems fading away...

I'd love to see a fully saturated or extra-saturated version, would be better. A warmer WB would help too. Also, the second edit is a massive improvement but I'd lighten up the shadows. Great shot!

Hi Guys,

MarkView attachment 76499
Mark, I have a very similar color shot. Do you mind if I post it here to show you what we mean?

Mark, I have a very similar color shot. Do you mind if I post it here to show you what we mean?
I would love it! This is one shot from a large series I would like to print in a consitent manner. Obviously still looking for the right post processing approach.

Mark

Awesome! Thanks for posting that Ralph. I so appreciate seeing the family dynamics of these super intense birds on the nest.

I am going to rework and repost my shot later today with your comments in mind. One thing I should mention is I am r+g colorblind so some of the subtleties with those and related colors are lost on me.

Mark

Awesome! Thanks for posting that Ralph. I so appreciate seeing the family dynamics of these super intense birds on the nest.

I am going to rework and repost my shot later today with your comments in mind. One thing I should mention is I am r+g colorblind so some of the subtleties with those and related colors are lost on me.

Mark
Completely understand. I did the same thing you did in the spring of 2022. I followed them until the young started to fly. This year I tried to do the same but could not get back to the nests as often as I would have liked.

Ralph, My fault if I become colorblind with age, but do I sense some unnature green-blueish on parent wing and wood parts?
The green-blue on the wood is algae. I don‘t see any blues green on the birds. I didn’t do any color adjustments on these photos.

Ralph, My fault if I become colorblind with age, but do I sense some unnature green-blueish on parent wing and wood parts?
There is definitely an unnatural green blue cast on the underside of the incoming bird's left wing. If you want to do color adjustment on these shots, that would be a good place to start.

Back