Osprey Headshot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtT

Marketplace
This guy was nesting adjacent to Firehole Drive in Yellowstone 2 weeks ago on a slight misty morning. Not disturbed by my presence but how many (cropped) headshots can you take?;).
Z81_4091-Edit-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z81_4091-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That's the chick. I saw mom on that nest in May. Nice shot, though.
Really! Wow they grow fast about Sept 18 on shot. Only one still coming back to the old nest I guess Never saw parents or other offspring but there are alot of Ospreys along Firehole. Never could catch them with successful fishing but did see quite a few attempts in the 12 days I was there.

That’s actually an immature one that was probably raised by its parents in this nest.
Thanks Ralph. Yes, Barbara an earlier post saw the nesting in May and told me this was the chick. I was wondering why it would hang around the nest. I have some pics of it shredding a fish in my stacks taken another day. The feathers hadn't filled in color yet.

Nice shot, but it's a young gal, not a guy! Those feathers will keep their silver tips until they molt out next summer in South America. All her life so far, since she hatched, she's been fed at the nest. Even if she is fishing on her own, she associates the nest with eating so she'll bring the fish back to the nest. It's "home". Some youngsters are the opposite, once they can fly they are off the nest, only returning to get a fish the male will bring, then off to a favorite perch to eat, a true grab and go!

Nice shot, but it's a young gal, not a guy! Those feathers will keep their silver tips until they molt out next summer in South America. All her life so far, since she hatched, she's been fed at the nest. Even if she is fishing on her own, she associates the nest with eating so she'll bring the fish back to the nest. It's "home". Some youngsters are the opposite, once they can fly they are off the nest, only returning to get a fish the male will bring, then off to a favorite perch to eat, a true grab and go!
Thanks Warren for the info. Just figured they all went their separate ways after fledging. Didn't see any others but as I said, that river had ospreys all the way to old Faithful lodge so likely her kin.

Back