Osprey

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

K9Kirk

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Likes, dislikes on this photo. Thanks.

071-studio-4-studio.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I dislike only two things about this photo:

1. The lighting is way too harsh for my likings. If it’s a sunny day, anything later than 2 hours after or 2 hours before sunset to me is not OK, the shadows are just too harsh and ruin the photo IMO. That seems to be the case here.

2. The angle is too steep. The lack of being eye level creates an unpleasant angle and photo. To avoid this, sometimes you can back off a little and zoom in/crop in more, but in other cases it’s just not possible.

I dislike only two things about this photo:

1. The lighting is way too harsh for my likings. If it’s a sunny day, anything later than 2 hours after or 2 hours before sunset to me is not OK, the shadows are just too harsh and ruin the photo IMO. That seems to be the case here.

2. The angle is too steep. The lack of being eye level creates an unpleasant angle and photo. To avoid this, sometimes you can back off a little and zoom in/crop in more, but in other cases it’s just not possible.
Thanks for your input, both points well taken.

I agree with the gist of Bal Land's comments - but I would not say I "dislike" it. But you wont be winning any awards - unless this is a near extinct bird in the most remote place on Mars - then you get the golden cup.

Yes the light is harsh - but still passable and it is still a good photo. I see no harsh shadows on the bird - who cares about the perch. For the time of day, it is good. Well executed. We can't all shoot at the best time of day.

Angle- yes it is way too steep. Your saving grace is the good clear position of the eye. But it really not the kind of angle one wants. Sometimes all you have to do is stand further back (if possible) to lessen the angle.

That rocky outcropping kind of looks like a raptor head and "shoulders." I would crop and adjust to emphasize the similarity.

Nice photo! Good processing. I would have slightly desaturated the sky for my taste. I got a very similar shot of an Osprey Yesterday at nearly this same angle in the mid afternoon (I had my camera with me on a bike ride). The Osprey was up on a tree branch with the back half of a fish in its talons. Mid day light and looking up at a perch can be unavoidable at times to get a shot. (y)

I agree with the gist of Bal Land's comments - but I would not say I "dislike" it. But you wont be winning any awards - unless this is a near extinct bird in the most remote place on Mars - then you get the golden cup.

Yes the light is harsh - but still passable and it is still a good photo. I see no harsh shadows on the bird - who cares about the perch. For the time of day, it is good. Well executed. We can't all shoot at the best time of day.

Angle- yes it is way too steep. Your saving grace is the good clear position of the eye. But it really not the kind of angle one wants. Sometimes all you have to do is stand further back (if possible) to lessen the angle.
I agree, we can't always shoot at the time of day that's best, and I thought that I dealt with the harsh light pretty well, the whites aren't blown but the color isn't the best, never is when it's too bright. I have only one day of the week to shot close to the golden hour, it's a small window and it's a little later this afternoon for the last hour and half before the sun goes down. As far as the angle goes, I don't like steep angles either but it was my only chance at a shot of it so I took it. I would've moved further back but the trail I was on is twisty so when you step back around the bend in the trail the bushes block your sight so that wasn't going to help. No one but I could've known that.

I'm glad to know what peoples likes and dislikes are about this photo, and everyone has confirmed what I suspected they would think so I'm not disappointed that the pic didn't score high. Let's me know I'm on the right track.

Nice photo! Good processing. I would have slightly desaturated the sky for my taste. I got a very similar shot of an Osprey Yesterday at nearly this same angle in the mid afternoon (I had my camera with me on a bike ride). The Osprey was up on a tree branch with the back half of a fish in its talons. Mid day light and looking up at a perch can be unavoidable at times to get a shot. (y)
Thank you. I usually process the sky to be a lighter blue, but I've seen some people say they love a dark blue sky and I do as well, depending on the pic. It works with some so I thought I would try that for a change of pace. I thought it worked alright for this shot.

Everything Winston said was spot on.
The clarity & color is so nice.

Back