If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DanG

Last week, I was standing on the beach looking out into the Atlantic Ocean shooting shorebirds and within 10 minutes, unexpectedly, three separate Ospreys returned toward the shore with fresh catches. I was able to get two of them that are posted below.

1654535483545.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

1654535513048.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Awesome photos Dan. It is interesting that the grasp they have on the fish is identical. At first glance it appeared to be the same Osprey in both shots but clearly they aren't. Well done.

Joe

Awesome photos Dan. It is interesting that the grasp they have on the fish is identical. At first glance it appeared to be the same Osprey in both shots but clearly they aren't. Well done.

Joe
Thanks Joe. Woody is right, the three birds were likely fishing in the same area.

Last week, I was standing on the beach looking out into the Atlantic Ocean shooting shorebirds and within 10 minutes, unexpectedly, three separate Ospreys returned toward the shore with fresh catches. I was able to get two of them that are posted below.

View attachment 40407
View attachment 40408
Dan, Awesome shots !! Well done👍👍👍Just curious as to your location as I was on the boardwalk in the Asbury Park area and saw 3 osprey doing the same thing. Didn’t have my camera with me of course.

Dan, Awesome shots !! Well done👍👍👍Just curious as to your location as I was on the boardwalk in the Asbury Park area and saw 3 osprey doing the same thing. Didn’t have my camera with me of course.
Yes it was Lido Beach Long Island which is about 5 minutes by car west of Long Beach. There are a few nests on the north side of Lido so I suspect the birds were heading off the ocean toward their nests. Might be an opportunity at Asbury in the coming days.

Right place at the right time and you were able to execute. Nice job. Looks like they were working a school of menhaden(aka pogey) which transit the east coast in large numbers this time of year. Years ago there was a processing plant for pogeys in Brunswick, GA. They're used for fish oil and fish meal like that sold as fertilizer in garden centers.

Right place at the right time and you were able to execute. Nice job. Looks like they were working a school of menhaden(aka pogey) which transit the east coast in large numbers this time of year. Years ago there was a processing plant for pogeys in Brunswick, GA. They're used for fish oil and fish meal like that sold as fertilizer in garden centers.
Thanks for that information. I did not know that.

Outstanding shots Dan, I'm always amazed at how the Ospreys always get them pointed head first and streamlined while Eagles seemingly couldn't care less, one talon, two talons, sideways, upside down, what ever. :)

Outstanding shots Dan, I'm always amazed at how the Ospreys always get them pointed head first and streamlined while Eagles seemingly couldn't care less, one talon, two talons, sideways, upside down, what ever. :)
So true, the Osprey will always get the fish tail to rear. I think it’s an aerodynamic preference. Appreciate your words.