Outdoor Photographer Magazine out of business

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This may be old, and perhaps unsurprising, news but the venerable Outdoor Photographer magazine recently fired its entire staff and has ceased publication. In our modern digital world, print magazines are almost anachronistic but, for me at least, there‘s something lost by not having a good quality print publication to thumb through at leisure. OP was started in 1985, and had such regular contributors as Jim Clark, Frans Lanting, Amy Gulick, Galen Rowell, and Melissa Groo, among many others. You can read more about the demise of Outdoor Photographer here https://www.diyphotography.net/outd...ust-fired-all-their-staff-and-are-selling-up/

IMG_0974.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
This is unfortunate but is becoming more and more routine in the print world. It's also the 3rd publication I subscribed to that has gone under. (this one, Outdoor Photographer Canada and Practical Photography) The only one of these 3 that notified me was Practical Photography and they sent out refunds if requested. A courtesy email seems like the least that any of these publications could do for their loyal subscribers.

This may be old, and perhaps unsurprising, news but the venerable Outdoor Photographer magazine recently fired its entire staff and has ceased publication. In our modern digital world, print magazines are almost anachronistic but, for me at least, there‘s something lost by not having a good quality print publication to thumb through at leisure. OP was started in 1985, and had such regular contributors as Frans Lanting, Amy Gulick, Galen Rowell, and Melissa Groo, among many others. You can read more about the demise of Outdoor Photographer here https://www.diyphotography.net/outd...ust-fired-all-their-staff-and-are-selling-up/

View attachment 78128
too bad but free online publications are destroying print news. Just look at newspapers ..

I recall this happening late last spring of 2023 when my issues stopped. The internet (if you can believe that) said that some “deep pocket” guy bought OP and then sold off all the assets. The familiar writers had not been paid for several months but continued to contribute article because they were dedicated. Sad and unfortunate demise of a good magazin…☹️

I recall this happening late last spring of 2023 when my issues stopped. The internet (if you can believe that) said that some “deep pocket” guy bought OP and then sold off all the assets. The familiar writers had not been paid for several months but continued to contribute article because they were dedicated. Sad and unfortunate demise of a good magazin…☹️
One problem (challenge) I find for OP and other mags is that providing timing industry news. Time they review a camera and the article in print, internet reviews are many months old.

One problem (challenge) I find for OP and other mags is that providing timing industry news. Time they review a camera and the article in print, internet reviews are many months old.
That is sooooo true. I remember their review of the Z9. It was pretty much old news given other resources that jumped out much earlier…

Kristi Odom, a well known guide, writer and Nikon Ambassador did an article of her experiences with the Z9 and 500PF near her home in Colorado. It was great! But other reviews were out there on the internet. I emailed her to congratulate her on the terrific article and she wasn’t aware it had even gone to press. But again, it was late……

This is one of the photo magazines I really enjoyed reading and often purchased one at the local bookstore. I used to be able to choose among 12-15 different print photography magazines from the shelf at that store, but now they are down to just one or two consistently available upon the shelf, both of which are from the UK.

I've recently found the site pocketmags.com, and now have digital subscriptions to two of them. Be advised, they are still offering annual subscriptions to Outdoor Photographer online. I purchased one in November, but found they had gone out of print; afterwards, I contacted pocketmags.com customer service and they refunded my money. You may still be able to purchase single editions from the past through the site.

too bad but free online publications are destroying print news. Just look at newspapers ..
As well as online forums. Progress marches on, and waits for no one!

For several years I had a subscription and it helped when I was relatively new in photography. Eventually I let it expire (well over a decade ago) because there were too many bland, repeat topics (why you need a polarizer, why you need a tripod, best zoom lens, etc). I prefer articles focusing on the work of good photographers or interesting locations, but these were few and far between. Still, sad to see print magazines go under. The best one (which had mainly features of working photographers) was distributed for free at camera stores and photo labs in the west, including the lab I used to work at in Tucson. Unfortunately, it went under several years ago and I can't remember what it was called. Popular Photography was the largest US photo magazine (by distribution) and they also went under a few years ago (though I never cared for them much myself).

Really Right Stuff used to do an annual magazine they would send to customers called Light & Shadow. I only have one issue but it is fantastic (I still have it). Natures Best Photography has stunning images - I have a collection of a dozen issues - but it seems they are not producing anything new at the moment. Like others, I do like a physical magazine and I hope they continue.

That is sooooo true. I remember their review of the Z9. It was pretty much old news given other resources that jumped out much earlier…
NPS member had their cameras by then and non-NPS member were still waiting. Not very helpful.

Never saw really hard face to face comparision between accessories (tripods, replacement feet, camera bags, ...). Always avoided saying anything negative for fear of offending advertisers

That looks like a well played old Martin.

Sadly, most of the magazines to which I've subscribed have either stopped publishing or shrunk as advertisers have fled to the internet. Like others have said, it's a pleasure to hold a printed copy of a publication but I guess we're just old folks living in another era.

I subscribed to Outdoor Photographer for several years in late 80's early 90's. Unfortunately during that time, it seemed to have transitioned from a magazine full of content, beautiful images and "to dream of" destinations with great tips on photography to ever increasing number of pages dedicated to adds and product reviews that were thinly veiled advertisements. I lost interest in it somewhere in the early 90's and let my subscription lapse. I picked up a copy here and there in news stands or when I was on vacation for something to read at night. Over the years, the content pages seemed to continue to dwindle down while the advertisements and product reviews (advertisements) continued to increase. I understand that is how they pay the bills.

Sorry to see it go. It was a great publication in its day and many of the articles there are what got me seriously interested in photography.

Jeff

Back