Output resolution

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’ve been reading a lot more about video recently and the statistics on people viewing online videos are around 90% on smart phones or tablets. Having said that, most of which are viewed in 1080 at best due to screen inadequacies or throttling by social media sites. I have been posting 4K videos to Facebook and YouTube but I guess what I’m wondering is? Is there really a need to post anything beyond 1080? I completely realize it gives more latitude when editing as far as cropping in search but I’m curious if it is actually best to post or downsize the video to 1080 for social media?

I’ve been reading a lot more about video recently and the statistics on people viewing online videos are around 90% on smart phones or tablets. Having said that, most of which are viewed in 1080 at best due to screen inadequacies or throttling by social media sites. I have been posting 4K videos to Facebook and YouTube but I guess what I’m wondering is? Is there really a need to post anything beyond 1080? I completely realize it gives more latitude when editing as far as cropping in search but I’m curious if it is actually best to post or downsize the video to 1080 for social media?
Yes. Downsampling still gives you a better video even when viewed at 1080. In other words, a 4k will look better than a 1080 on a 1080 display.

My rule of thumb, publish at the highest permissible resolution, let the platforms compress it.

Yes. Downsampling still gives you a better video even when viewed at 1080. In other words, a 4k will look better than a 1080 on a 1080 display.

My rule of thumb, publish at the highest permissible resolution, let the platforms compress it.
Thank you

Back