Output sharpening amount and radius for different size prints and screen sizes.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

bleirer

Bill, Cleveland OH.
Supporting Member
Marketplace
When there is a specific output like a print of a certain size, or Instagram, or a large web image, what is your method for deciding what radius and sharpening amount to use for that final output sharpening?

Last edited:
The only thing I've really come up with is to view the image on the screen at final size and resolution at the expected final viewing distance, and trial and error it until it looks right.

Yep. That's the only thing I can do. There's too much vagueness to say otherwise, because it can even change based on subject matter, lens, etc. I just gave up eventually, set something I was happy enough with overall, and let it go. The only time I put more work into it is if I'm printing an image, then I'll be more fussy.

Unfortunately, if I revealed the secret formula, I would have to kill you ;) but seriously, there isn't one and sharpening depends entirely on your preferences and the display medium involved. Different websites (including BCG) use different compression and display algorithms, so it is largely a trial-and-error process where you'll eventually develop your own thresholds. Likewise, with prints, I used to be extremely diligent and produced a step-wedge of an image with different sharpening amounts applied. After a while, I determined a general rule of thumb which works for my images, papers, and printers and eventually I abandoned the step wedges. Likewise, you'll settle on your own workflow.

Back