owl in field

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Seeking input on cropping and other editing for this photo.
_GAT3594-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I much prefer portrait framing for the majority of wildlife photographs. I simply got fed up of the cliched landscape crops. I use square crops for most of my wildlife stuff now so I like the framing here. Personal preference of course.

I think the composition is about spot on. A tighter crop would work too imo but really don't see much wrong as it is tbh. A fine environmental shot of a wonderful bird in a natural setting.

I much prefer portrait framing for the majority of wildlife photographs. I simply got fed up of the cliched landscape crops. I use square crops for most of my wildlife stuff now so I like the framing here. Personal preference of course.

I think the composition is about spot on. A tighter crop would work too imo but really don't see much wrong as it is tbh. A fine environmental shot of a wonderful bird in a natural setting.
I also like portrait framing if showing only the bird. I have many such images. A landscape crop shows more of the bird and its environment. So it depends on what one wants to show with the image.

the bluish whites I think was a mistake in editing. I am going to take another stab at this based on comments here.

I find the photo a bit bright overall. Perhaps you could decrease the highlights and whites and increase the contrast? You might also play with increasing the saturation. One of the joys of digital images is that you can play with all of these changes in post in a non-destructive way. Kathy

I'd take about half of the darker far background which would indeed make it essentially a landscape format. If you want to show the owl in its environment a landscape format would be appropriate.

Back